X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMiLEY
    • Sep 2000

Should I wait for Pro-Logic II

I'm really itching to upgrade my aging receiver. It's an old Sony STR-D1090, Dolby Pro-Logic.

I'm going for a slow upgrade path because I really can't afford to buy a new system every time something new comes out. I haven't purchased a DVD player because it really won't gain me much without a better receiver and I'm getting really tired of waiting.

I upgraded my speakers a few months ago, and I need something to power them better than this aging beast.

When I saw the announcement for Denon's AVR 3801 I got pretty excited, thinking, "this could be it!" but then I heard about this Pro Logic II thing. I have quite a few Pro-Logic LD's in my collection, so it would seem like a good idea to wait on Pro Logic II, but how important? I also have plenty of Dolby Digital LD's which my player should handle fine if I get it hooked up to a receiver that takes digital inputs.

Arg. I don't know what to do...
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

these are difficult times for someone looking to buy a HT receiver. if you have a lot of prologic materical or watch a lot of TV encoded in pro logic then a PL II processor might be worht waiting for. In the mean time I think you'd get a lot out of a DVD player. Sure the audio won't be much better but you'd get a chance to start building your colleciton and the video will be far better.

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I don't know the full details of Pro-Logic II, but with DD EX, DTS ES just coming out, it'll be a tough choice for sure.

You could always get a decent DD/DTS receiver, like the Sony db940, and wait to see what shakes out at the end. I don't know if even the rear center would really be worth it. Plus how many more speakers can you put in a room before it's overkill? I'm not talking about subs here.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
        • Aug 2000

The question I'm asking: Is Pro-Logic holy grail enough to warrant what might be a lengthy wait? That's a tough question. I own no laserdiscs. I only listen to CDs and watch DVDs. My only requirements are DD, DTS, and 2-channel channel stereo. All else is bonus. I think it's a matter of getting what you need. If you need old material reproduced by a lot of speakers, then cool. My living space is big, and 5 speakers works very well.

Ken
        Ken

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

Smiley, you could gain so much out of a DVD player, even with marginal audio! You obviously know about the picture quality of laser, and realize benefits from that with your current receiver, right? Well, DVD just takes it one step closer to perfection, PLUS, you get simultaneous release with VHS, or earlier release dates even. So, when people are waiting to rent the tape, you can already have a disc in your collection.

You get widescreen, a more compact storage medium, and great prices on many selections. DVD would be the first thing I added were I you.

Lex

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
            • Aug 2000

I have listened to ProLogic II at Jim Fosgate's (the developer)house about 2 weeks ago. If you have a lot of pro logic LD's then I would wait to upgrade until PL II is out. It sounded awesome! Nearly equal to 5.1!
            The source code was just released so you wont see any production units until next year although you will see some pre production units at CES in January.

Wait on the receiver and get the DVD player.

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

Kyle, that is awesome that you got to actually hear this at Jim Fosgate's house. WOW!

Do you know who actually built the unit? I mean, was this just something Mr. Fosgate rigged up to load his software in an existing receiver? What receiver was it?

Thanks,

Lex

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
                • Aug 2000

Lex & Smiley, check out the new thread I started for a more detailed description along with pictures of the demo.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"