X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Dual Format Player

Looks like many of our worries will go away next week.

Great News! I hope its true.

Yonhap news articles produced by building a network covering domestic supplies in various newspapers, broadcasting and government departments, major institutions, major corporations, media ,K-pop, K-wave, Hallyu, Korean Wave, Korean pop, Korean pop culture, Korean culture, Korean idol, Korean movies, Internet media and international agreements of the Republic of Korea.

• Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I would say it is true, could be delayed beyond 1st qtr, that may be optimistic unless they are already sitting in a warehouse ready to go. Price could eliminate it as a realistic possibility for many, we'll see.

Of course, this could perpetuate how long both formats continue as well, maybe a good thing, maybe not?

We should carry this info down to the thread I stickied in HT section too... But this is news worthy, and belongs in the Chalet.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

If its priced at $1000, and has analog outputs and HDMI 1.3 ill buy it without a doubt. Im sure more CE companies wont let LG be the only one for long.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

If its priced anywhere between 800 and 1300 I'd probably buy one. I sure hope it does come out in first quarter. I want to purchase a HiDef player when I get my new display and if this comes out it would definitely be a very viable option. If not I'll stick with my HTPC that has a BD and HD rom drives.

Comment

• mattburk
          • Feb 2003

yea it is legit, the have been talking about it for a few months nice to see a real press release
          We've already resigned ourselves to a long and pointless format war between HD-DVD and Blu-ray over which next-gen optical disc gets to succeed the DVD, but at least one heavyweight says they're going to increase the peace and introduce a universal player that can handle both formats. Samsung's been mainly in the Blu-ray camp — they already introduced a Blu-ray recorder late last year (the BD-R1000) — but the head of the company's consumer electronics division threw down the other day, declaring that Samsung would, "welcome a unified standard, but if this doesn't come, which looks likely, we'll bring a unified solution to market." Doesn't sound like it'll be easy to pull off, but a universal player would definitely be good for consumers since they wouldn't have to worry about whether they'll actually be able to watch the high-def movies they're buying. It'd also put manufacturers who are firmly committed to one format or the other in a tight spot: why would you buy a Toshiba HD-DVD player or a Sony Blu-ray player when you could just get a Samsung combo player that can play both?
          www.mycstone.com
          www.coverednow.com
          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

One article mentions studios will be puzzled over which format to support if a dual-format player is released. I fail to see the problem. Only Warner and Paramount face an issue. The others are either/or format-wise and could happily continue on that path. There will, of course, be debates about whether a "jack of all trades" machine can equal the performance of a dedicated player (as there was for SACD/DVD-A vs universal audio players) but such a debate will be short-lived, I suspect and, to the masses, largely irrelevant. The only losers will be those manufacturers who refuse to build dual-format machines. Game boxes will be alright, as the movie playing is secondary to their function, but stand-alone players that don't play both formats will suffer (hello Toshiba and Sony--the others will likely eventually go dual-format--certainly companies like Denon, Yamaha and Marantz will, and Pioneer as well, I think).

Comment

• gross30
              • Jun 2005

I was thinking of upgrading my first gen HD player in the spring, but this is great news. I think I will wait a while and see how many "dual format" players we will see. I'm sure once you see one player on the market, a lot of others will be soon to follow. This is great, it's getting interesting !!!

Comment

• Eric_C
                • Nov 2006

I wonder how far BD is going to go as far as market penetration.

The PS3 was going to be the big catapult for it but they are not selling as many as they could with full production.

I played around with a PS3 the other day and really did enjoy it...if it came down another $100 I'd give it a more serious look.

HD DVD on the Xbox is putting them at the right price point but I would not go that route for the main room because of a lack of audio support.

Now what would be sweet giving the price of these consoles and dual useage is distributing the HD to multiple sources. Meaning I could have a good wireless controller and be able to play my Xbox/PS3 on either my main TV or bedroom TV which will shortly be HD also.

Comment

• ht_addict
                  • Dec 2002

Since LG was said to be exclusive to BR and now with the move to also supporting HD in a Dual player, how long before they(BR board) pulls the license from LG? Could that happen?

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Well, let's hope this player is true.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

hard to say Kevin. (HTA) I am sure there's a long legal agreement that was signed between the two giving rights, and taking rights. Voilation of those rights could certainly be a clause, and grounds for termination, guessing.

But then again, Sony may have to be careful about how they handle the situation legally as well. I just don't know.
                      Doug

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

At a 1000$ price tag I would wait for it to be about half. Which shouldnt take long.

Who knows.
                        B&W

Comment

• Nolan B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2005

We're here at the LG event, about to find out just how "Life's Good" with a few LG gadgets. The room is packed, with flashed fluttering and shiny gadgets up front. And here comes the intro guy, who's name escapes us.11:00 -"Here we are, kicking off the first CES press event, at 8am on a Sunday""We have a lot of announcements today." But for now, they're just introducing us to all their friends.11:04 - And here comes the keynote speaker, CEO Micheal Ahn."Good morning everyone. I appreciate your interest today.""LG, for a few years, has been well known as a premium brand in the American market. Now, 75% of American consumers perceive LG as a progressive, trendy brand."Micheal is talking about convergence, and how LG has its hand in just about every market of consumer electronics.

$1199

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I'm hoping that means a street price of $999 or so. Fingers crossed.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Nolan B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                              I'm hoping that means a street price of $999 or so. Fingers crossed.
                              I would say thats reasonable. If you are good with your dealer im sure its not a stretch to get one for that.

I am just not sure I want something called "The Super Multi Blue".

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

What's in a name? :

Comment

• Nolan B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                                  What's in a name? :
                                  nothing I guess...just sounds more like a Hello Kitty product then cutting end tech.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

Made me think of a denture cleaner.
                                    BB

Comment

• gianni
                                      • Nov 2002

Why do all these new HD players look like plain black boxes? I know performance is what matters, but come on, throw us a bone. Guess we'll have to wait until the mid-fi and high end companies hit the market - if they ever do.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Yeah it does look ugly...If its street priced at 999 and it performs well then I MAY pick one up but IDK. I could get 2 stand alone players for the same price just about. Is the samsung BD player bad?

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Bad, no. But it does have a soft image compared to the other BD/HD players. I don't remember the details but it had something to do with a bug in their chip.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                            • Aug 2000

The Samsung BD player had a bug where it had some sort of noise reduction feature turned on that shouldn't have been, causing the soft image. They issued a firmware update to address this problem, so it is no longer an issue.

As for the dual format player, I'll have to wait 'n see how it performs in real life. Maybe when a 2nd or 3rd gen dual format player comes out, or one format wins out over the other, then I'll jump.

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by gianni
                                              Why do all these new HD players look like plain black boxes? I know performance is what matters, but come on, throw us a bone. Guess we'll have to wait until the mid-fi and high end companies hit the market - if they ever do.
                                              Yeah, you're right, gianni. I feel like we're back in the early 90's, looking at early DVD players, the way the cases are thin and cheap-feeling, the trays are flimsy, the buttons cheap. Once we start seeing some real quality materials in the casing, we're going to see some awesome players in both camps.
                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• gianni
                                                • Nov 2002

I hope you are right Chris. One more reason I guess for me to lurk in the HD shadows a while longer.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2005

No more combo player...not as is anyway.

Comment

• Lex
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Apr 2001

well, that didn't last long huh? I can't believe they sprung that without even checking with the appropriate governing organizations first, :roll: Talk about getting everyone's hopes up, then to have it come crashing down. But if you think about it, now HD-DVD has to be the "Bad Guy", and the one to take away the dual mode player. It could have been a giant political ploy all along. Maybe?
                                                    Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

Well that sucks! And the player in the picture there is MUCH sexier then the one they showed at CES or wherever it was :B. I'm sure they could figure it out and release it still probably just wont be until quarter 2 now.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Sep 2005

Legally they can release the player as is, but have to provide a firmware updated within 90 days which will correct any missing HD DVD feature.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

So maybe they will go that route...

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jun 2001

So it turns out Sony is not the only wanker in the crowd. Although they are still worse for not allowing support of other formats at all, while DVD consortium only wants full support fo their format, which is not really an unreasonable requirement.

BD's choice of the BD-J features is why Microsoft dropped BD support to begin with, as they don't like it when open source choices replace their proprietary formats. So I'd actually call them the bad guy in this case.

BB

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Sep 2005

In the end if LG wants to use the HD DVD name then need to follow the HD DVD spec. Thats not to unreasonable.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

This player is on BestBuy's website:

LG BH100

Comment

• mitch57
                                                                  • Nov 2004

And it won't even play a regular CD... Let alone DVD-A or SACDs. Just what I don't need. Another disk player specifically for HD. I think I'll wait until Denon or one of the other big boys comes out with a truly universal player. It's just a matter of time I'm sure.
                                                                  Mitch
                                                                  :stupidpc:

Comment

• mattburk
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2003

They should skip both and go to flash media.
                                                                    www.mycstone.com
                                                                    www.coverednow.com
                                                                    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• comeup
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2005

what will I do with my Denon 3910 if I buy one only one year and a half old. I guest I could have two in my setup one for audio and another for video.
                                                                      Blake

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"