X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Passive Heaven

Today I received my model 20-39cs SVS subwoofer.

I can honestly say that "I didn't know what real bass was". The SVS has shown me how to enjoy a movie with full bass and yet not lose my hearing.

What is really funny is, once you clean up the bass, the rest of the "detail" in your system comes forward.

I am not trying to do a true review here. I just want to share that I now understand what true clean LFE can bring to the party!

Now where is that Independence Day disc!:B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Ahhh John, gonna scorch some plaster tonight! Yippeee. Enjoy your new sub and welcome to the Big Bass Club.

Lex

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I agree,,You can put away the Q-tips now.

I have always enjoyed that clean bass with the Servo-15's,,adding the SVS's just added that nice Nitro boost.

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks guys!

I think I may move my bed into my ht room. I'm using an old Kenwood amp and am unsure of it's rating. I know that I watched Independence Day last night with it and it never even got warm. But, I may purchase a better amp to be sure that no clipping is taking place. With so much in my room that is making noise now, I need to isolate some vibations so I can be sure.

But does this thing put out some deeeep clean bass? YES YES YES!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

welcoem to the big time bass world

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thanks Andrew!

Well, a couple of things happened this weekend. Most important, I found out my amps rating. It is 125 @ 8ohm. I feel better knowing it will do for now.

Also got the guts to try The Haunting DTS. Knowing that this is a sub killer made me kind of nervous. What a waste of time (the worry). The SVS didn't even break a sweat! It did deliver gut wrenching tight deep bass though.

My room is 13x11x8, not a tough room to fill but, my bass has never been clean and tight and deep before this sub.

If any of you are on the fence about one of these babies...get off!

Comment

• RickS
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

John,

Glad to hear you like the new SVS sub. If your amp is 125@8ohms it is probably about 200@4ohm which the SVS is rated. I had 2-SVS 20-39's hooked in paralell which is a 2 ohm load and feeding them about 1000 watts......it did bottom the drivers so bad with the Haunting it scared the crap out of me :E. I hooked then up in series after that which is a 8 ohm load and 190 watts ea. I do love the clean bass that the SVS's gives to the HT for movies and music.

Rick

The Home Theater
              DVD Collection

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Thanks Rick.

1000watts!!! I would have been scared too:E I can't even imagine the bass that you feel in your room. You have plenty of power and two subs...with just the one that I have, the bass is nothing short of satisfying. I know when you and Trevor get going, the earth's axis must tilt:B

Comment

• Pat
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

John, once you have experienced "good", "deep" bass you can never go back.

Congratulations on joining the big, bad, bass club

Pat's Page
                  Pat's Page

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks Pat.

I just finish watching The 6th Day. A very enjoyable movie.

I swear the more I listen, the further my jaw gets to the floor! All this time I thought that it was me. That I just did a poor job of calibration/placement of the JBL. Or maybe my room was the problem or some combo there of.

I put the 20-39 in the same spot as the PSW-D110, use the same calibration technique, and with no effort I'm there.

I apologize for sounding like a broken record on this, I'm just so happy at the results that, I want the world to know!!!

Comment

• Tom Vodhanel
                      • Sep 2000

>>>Thanks guys!
                      I think I may move my bed into my ht room. I'm using an old Kenwood amp and am unsure of it's rating. I know that I watched Independence Day last night with it and it never even got warm. But, I may purchase a better amp to be sure that no clipping is taking place. With so much in my room that is making noise now, I need to isolate some vibations so I can be sure.

But does this thing put out some deeeep clean bass? YES YES YES! <<<

John, it's always good to know a customer is happy with their decision to purchase a SV woof.

The minimum impedence of the SVs will be about 4.5ohm(if memoery serves---dont have the notes right in front of me)...so they are relatively *easy* on the amp.

I run a pair of SV passives with a $79 KLH receiver (bestbuy)at *reference* levels for a few DVDs...and it never got more than warm(but it gave up anywhere from 2-5dBs worth of dynamic peaks to the samson S700 too).

TV

"Life is like a lollipop, you have to lick it, one day at a time"

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"