X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

new pics and a quick review

Well the last couple of weeks have been pretty good for me and my HT with some recent additions that have much improved my setup. I am now running 5 magnepan speakers that are virtually a perfect tonal match so my 5.1 surround sound is fantastic. The maggies truly excel at expressing the subtle detail found in DVD soundtracks. On the Video front I swapped out the 35" tube set for a 50" toshiba RPTV that with some help from Jay Mitchosky and Jeff Kowerchuck its looking great. Of course for me HT is great but I wanted to beef up my 2 channel sound so I just added an MSB link DAC with an upgraded Audio Alchemy power station 4. It was at the time of ordering the Link DAC that I became aware of www.catcables.com that a friend of mine started so I also placed an order for a set of his Silver Cats to connect the Link DAC to the Denon. Luckily for me both the DAC and the Silver Cats arrived within days of each other and are providing me with the added detail in my 2 channel setup that I was missing before. Now that I've spent a little more time with the new gear I will say that the added benefit of the Link DAC isn't huge but flipping back and forth its apparent that there is a difference and the Link DAC is providing me with a deeper soundstage that just seems more 'real' or lifelike. Its hard to describe the sound other then to say the DAC in the Denon sounds flat in comparison to the MSB DAC. I'm currently running IXOS interconnects b't the the Denon and the HK 5 channel amp but I'm thinking that I'll add another set of Silver Cats to do that job since they are quite simply stunning cables So whats in the long term future? Well the Outlaw pre amp looks interesting and I know I could do with a better amp to drive the Maggie 1.4's (leaving the HK doing the rest) so thats where I'm leaning but it won't happen for a little while....at least thats what I keep telling myself

• Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yeehaaa....another person with a full Maggie HT. Sorta kinda makes me all warm inside. Congrats and good luck!

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

thanks crimson I heard I wasn't the only one with Maggies here BTW I am very envious of your setup..you've got some sweet pieces in there.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
        • Nov 2000

awesome! it's about time there're new pictures on your site.

i was wondering how the new tv would fit into the whole setup... it looks great!
        Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
        That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Very nice changes Andrew! looks classy,

Crimson, that is a serious collection of hardware :E

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Theater looks great! Nice review also.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

Ahhh, Silvercats. I like the sound of that. lol. Andrew, welcome to the big time. Your there buddy!

Crimson, you got it bad ey?

Lex

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
                • Aug 2000

Andrew, very smooth. Dammit, I need a new TV!

Ken
                Ken

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

Very nice! I have a friend back in Cal that uses Maggies, but he only has a stereo pair...they are a wonderful speaker system, but I've never heard them in surround, must be awesome!!!
                  Are you trying to fool yourself into thinking you won't be upgrading your amp soon??? I do the same thing.
                  Now that my video display is maxed out I'm looking at my amps...Aragon here I come!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Kenny yeah I know the feeling...I go in pattens I move from the HT to the PC and back again and its now time to focus on the PC again for a while

Comment

• Bob Santos
                      • Mar 2001

Nice setup Andrew. I bet your having a ball with all those upgrades at once.
                      Enjoy

Comment

• Wireless
                        • Feb 2001

Very nice setup! First time I have seen your Sonosub, wow! Very nice job there, wish I had the dexterity to put one together and only if it would look as good as yours.

John
                        My HT Picts
                        John
                        My HT Picts

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

John its really not that hard to build sonosubs. Finishing can take many forms, some easier then others but its really not that bad esp given the expert advice we have access to these days

Comment

• Robbie
                            • Aug 2000

Nice set up Andrew, I will say I was suprised at the size of the center. I bet it sounds AWESOME....

Good listening

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"