X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wireless
    • Feb 2001

Hmmm, I've got hum

I bought a VGA to TV converter to connect my pc through my proceed AVP (via composite) to my Faroudja then to my pioneer hd532. Problem is hum.

If I connect the cable directly, I get a picture but bad hum. I tried the RS 75 ohm to 300 ohm - 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformers and they worked great, no hum - also no picture. I'm stumped! Can anyone help me figure out how to get a picture without the 60hz background music?

John
    My HT Picts
    John
    My HT Picts
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

John, have you tried going um, wireless? Sorry, bad joke.

Have you tried plugging the computer into an alternate circuit? Sounds like a ground loop to me, and by changing to an alternate circuit, you might be able to get rid of it, once you can isolate it

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Double check to make sure that the cable is properly grounded outside the building. A dedicated 8' copper rod is better than a water pipe for grounding.

Or try the Mondial M.A.G.I.C. block.

If all else fails, use a toslink connection to the pre/pro

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Wireless
        • Feb 2001

I changed outlets as to Lex's suggestion, but the outlets in the computer room are all on the same circuit, and moving the pc and desk to the living room is not really an option.. Still have hum.

Can't do anything about the grounding of the building as I live in an apartment complex. That's it! I'll move! In the meantime...

I am afraid I will spend $100+ on the Mondial and still have no signal pass through. That's what I don't understand with the transformers, why is no video signal passing through? It seemed to work for others. Is it the Ultimatte Grand 2000 VGA to TV converter?

John
        My HT Picts
        John
        My HT Picts

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You live in an apartment and own a projector... I'm jealous and impressed!8)

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

John (wireless), just bring that old projector over to my house, and that should take care of the situation. You could come over to watch it whenever you want, lol.

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

wouldn't a cheater plug help remove the ground form the loop?

Comment

• Wireless
                • Feb 2001

Actually it's just a Rear Projection unit. If you have ever been through a divorce you can understand how a high end home theater system and an apartment can come together.

Try a cheater plug on the pc end?

John
                My HT Picts
                John
                My HT Picts

Comment

• Wireless
                  • Feb 2001

You know Lex, you may be on to something. Maybe I should try wireless! Bad joke or not!

John
                  My HT Picts
                  John
                  My HT Picts

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Cable induced hum won't be stopped by using "cheaters". So bite the bullet and get the Mondial block. I've used one for years and they work very well. Or use a fiber optical connection to run the audio from the PC to the Pre/pro

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Well, when I got divorced, I only got the apt so, I truly understand.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Wireless
                        • Feb 2001

Thomas,

At this point, I'm not running audio to the Pre/Pro, only video. I have an isolation transformer connected to the cable outlet for the same reason, to eliminate hum. It works and the video passes through. I tried connecting it and I got no hum and NO video. Could it be that the VGA converter is not amplifying the signal enough?

John
                        My HT Picts
                        John
                        My HT Picts

Comment

• Lexman
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2000

Yeah, I been there "Johns". lol. Actually, I coudl tell you stories that would curl your ears back, including the great remote caper of 1998, geesh, how did I ever cope!

John, these types of problems can be very vexing. Take it one step at a time, avoid teh cheater plug if possible-

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

VGA to TV converter to connect my pc through my proceed AVP (via composite) to my Faroudja then to my pioneer hd532.
                            This is a recipe for multiple ground loops. There's just too much equipment in the signal path.

Why are you running a cable signal into the PC?. Unless your using the PC as a HTPC get it out of the signal path. PC's are very "noisy" and usually lacking in adequate shielding.

theAudioWorx
                            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Wireless
                              • Feb 2001

Lex, at least you have those Sonus Fabers. Sounds like an excellent trade to me.

Maybe I should state the purpose of connectng the PC to the system. I'm not using an HTPC as I have an Elite DV-09 going into a Faroudja 2200.

As I stated in another thread, I recently purchased a Sony Mega changer and a slinke controller for PC. This allows me to download info from the internet, including albumn covers to the pc, for all cds in the megachanger. I was trying to display the jukebox information on the currently playing cd(jukebox software is controlled by a Pronto) on my pioneer RPTV when the cd input is selected. Hence the VGA to TV converter.

I'm not connecting cable to my PC, nor connecting any audio out from the PC to my Processor.

John
                              My HT Picts
                              John
                              My HT Picts

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Well given the rather bizarre nature of your application, the only possible solution I can think of is probably a Modial MAGIC block (to kill the cable induced hum). Combine that with the stereo audio isolator (CO-2RR) from Jensen transformers (this will kill any audio hum created by the rest of the system). Buy and add the units one at a time until you get rid of the hum. Try lifing all the grounds with "cheaters" before getting the CO-2RR. Jensen products if purchased from Jensen, come with a 100% money back guarantee. Also their tech people are most helpful diagnosing ground related hums, and there several very good "white papers" that can be downloaded from their website.

Good luck
                                Thomas

theAudioWorx
                                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Wireless
                                  • Feb 2001

Is it bizarre to want to do a search for a particular albumn, artist, or to look at the cover art for a cd that 's playing without having to run into another room?

Thanks for the advice on the transformers. I have the cable isolation model VR-1FF. I will try the baseband model.

John
                                  My HT Picts
                                  John
                                  My HT Picts

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"