X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

HT & Audio Magazines?

I've recently taken a job where I spend a lot of time on the road / alone this summer. I want to subscribe to a few magazines to keep some fresh reading with me. Does anyone have any suggestions for magazines geared toward this hobby? I won't really be buying much equipment, but reviews & new tech news are always interesting. Tests would be sweet (real power ratings, etc.) Theory articles would be cool too, if they exist. Also, are there any magazines dedicated to DIY speakers? I know there are a few out there, but if any are better or worse than others, or if anyone has general opinions, share! :T
  • LikeCoiledSteel
    • May 2004

My favorites are:
    Home Theater Magazine
    Sound & Vision
    The Absolute Sound
    Steel

Comment

• wildfire99
      • Aug 2005

widescreen review
      - Patrick
      "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Add Stereophile to the list.

Comment

• cobbpa
          • Apr 2005

Anyone want to elaborate on some of these suggestions? I'm glad to have a place to start, I'll go check some of them out, but are some, say...more likely to bench test products vs. others reporting on market news? I'd assume Stereophile is geared toward sound, Widescreen Review pays more attention to HT applications, and the others a mix of both? Don't mean to be a stickler, again, I'll check them out for myself, but any more guidance on what they offer could be sweet too. I'm glad to have a list though!

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
            • May 2004

Sound & Vision and Home Theater are versimilar. a mix of both HT and sound. I like these the best beacuse they cover a wide spectrum of products on both ends.

The Absolute Sound is geared mostly towards Music with a nice mix of high end and some more to reality products.

I stopped reading Stereophile after 2 years of subscription beacuse I found more and more that they very rarely have a product reviewed that cost less then 20k. I got tired of reading about $30k tone arms and phono stage buffers.
            Steel

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

There are also some very good British mags out there, such as What Hi-Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice. These are usually available at Barnes & Noble, etc., but tend to be fairly expensive for single issues. Lots of good reviews of both stereo and theater setups.

Also, check out some mag archive available online, such as:

Ultimate AV
              Sound & Vision
              Home Theater
              AVGuide.com (The Perfect Vision)
              Brad

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Stereophile does review affordable equipment. It also reviews the very expensive too, which in many cases lead to the mass-market improvements we all can afford a couple of years down the road. It tends to look almost exclusively at audio products.

The Absolute Sound is another favorite of mine. It focuses on audio, but will have some pieces of video equipment thrown in.

The Perfect Vision is Absolute Sound's sister mag that looks at the video side of things but will have the odd audio item too.

Widescreen Review (already mentioned) is another favorite of mine.

I've subscribed to Home Theater, AVG, S&V at one time or the other but don't any more.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Blindamood
                  There are also some very good British mags out there, such as What Hi-Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice. These are usually available at Barnes & Noble, etc., but tend to be fairly expensive for single issues. Lots of good reviews of both stereo and theater setups.

Also, check out some mag archive available online, such as:

Ultimate AV
                  Sound & Vision
                  Home Theater
                  AVGuide.com (The Perfect Vision)
                  I subscribe to the British mag HiFi+. It's published 7/8 times a year and is a real pleasure to read. I'm very ford of their music review also. They review all kinds of music and have a section dedicated to 'Audiophile' grade recordings that include Jazz and Classiscal and modern. All formats are reviewed inc. Vinyl and SACD. It's a very relaxing read.

I've gone off 'What Hifi' over the years(used to be my staple, I've probably moved on) as it's so far removed from HiFi now, it's silly. There seems to be more pages dedicated to LCD Screens and MP3 players and their peripherals than good solid hifi reviews. HiFi Choice and HiFi World are good and I'll always buy the HiFi Choice collectors editions - 30 or more reviews of high end audio/video in one mag.
                  Last edited by Alloroc; 30 March 2006, 14:34 Thursday.
                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• JKalman
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cobbpa
                    I've recently taken a job where I spend a lot of time on the road / alone this summer. I want to subscribe to a few magazines to keep some fresh reading with me. Does anyone have any suggestions for magazines geared toward this hobby? I won't really be buying much equipment, but reviews & new tech news are always interesting. Tests would be sweet (real power ratings, etc.) Theory articles would be cool too, if they exist. Also, are there any magazines dedicated to DIY speakers? I know there are a few out there, but if any are better or worse than others, or if anyone has general opinions, share! :T
                    HiFi-Choice and Hi-Fi+ are two of my favorites.

Comment

• comeup
                      • Jul 2005

I like all of above plus a UK magazine called (What HIFI) which is my FAV
                      Blake

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Brad (blindamood) mentioned What HIFI too. Guess I'll have to give it a read.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• adinfinitum
                          • Apr 2006

Free e-Mag

Hi all,

Just found this site whilst surfing. It is a free online Audio magazine in Adobe PDF format and is pretty good, particularly for the price.

Tony.
                          http://www.couchpotatosolutions.com.au/

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"