X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

Dolby Digital or DTS?

The title says it all, I have always used Dolby, and everyone I know thinks it's the "Best" but which really is? I have heard somewhere that people who are into home theater etc. like DTS better.
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Nathan P
    The title says it all, I have always used Dolby, and everyone I know thinks it's the "Best" but which really is? I have heard somewhere that people who are into home theater etc. like DTS better.
    Hi,

DTS tracks on DVD, in my opinion sounds better than DD.

I'm simplifying as i'm using my PDA to post this, but the main advantage of DTS (for DVDs) is that it has a much higher bitrate than equivalent Dolby tracks. DTS 5.1 typically uses 768-1536 kbit/s (overall), while Dolby 5.1 only uses 384-448 kbit/s.
    It can therefore be claimed that the extra bits give higher fidelity and a greater dynamic range, providing richer and more life-like sound.

Get a disc with all formats and 'sound' it out to see. A great example is the new U2 live in Chicago dvd. It also has a great 2 channel pcm track, and imo sounds the best(for music), but that's a whole different debate....
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Actually, it varies from DVD to DVD. Some soundtracks are recorded in DD and/or DTS in a very crappy, "ripped" manner, just to have that sound format and to be able to put it on the DVD package for marketing purposes. Some DVD's actually have Dolby Digital better recorded than DTS. You just don't know until you test out the particular DVD.

HOWEVER, as Vincent says, DTS has a better "capability" than DD, (even if it's sometimes not utilized) and in general, I've found DTS to sound better. So me personally, I always go into the setup menu when I start up a DVD and select DTS when I can. Typically, DVD's default to the best sound format available on the disc, such as DD EX when so encoded, but not always. But I have found that DVD's typically do NOT default to DTS when it's available, so I do always go check before I watch the show.

Vincent - sidenote: U2 is still my all-time favorite band, and I own all the DVD's. I love the new Chicago DVD you mention, there's a few specific passages in there that bring me to tears.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Nathan P
        • Mar 2006

I just did my own little test with The Bourne Identity, I played the opening scene on the boat with DTS first, and then with Dolby Digital, and I found that DTS had a more alive sound, like I was actually there. The voices came out more, and everything seemed a little sharper. DD had more bass, but that can be fixed with a little eq adjustment. I have noticed before that it varies from movie to movie, if I remember correctly Pirates of the Carribean sounded better in DD, but it may have been eq issues, not being setup for the other etc.

Comment

• cinema bob
          • Apr 2005

i prefer DTS for all of the reasons given. the only discs that i have heard that i prefer in DD is Reservoir Dogs. the dynamic compression on the DD track just sounds better than the more open reverberant DTS track.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

If you can, find one of the few full-bit-rate DTS DVDs like the original DTS Apollo 13 at 1509 MBPS. Talk about a superior sound!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
              Vincent - sidenote: U2 is still my all-time favorite band, and I own all the DVD's. I love the new Chicago DVD you mention, there's a few specific passages in there that bring me to tears.
              I know what you mean. I was at the last concert in Dublin(3rd night) and I have to say they were amazing but after watching the Chicago, I was left in awe. An amazing performance. ;b>
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
                If you can, find one of the few full-bit-rate DTS DVDs like the original DTS Apollo 13 at 1509 MBPS. Talk about a superior sound!
                After all these years, I still use the launch scene from Apollo 13-DTS as one of my demo scenes when people see my theater. I have yet to find another movie scene that synergizes the story, loud bass, detailed surround sound, and music, all in one, like that one.

I know what you mean. I was at the last concert in Dublin(3rd night) and I have to say they were amazing but after watching the Chicago, I was left in awe. An amazing performance.
                Vincent, I'm so jealous--I've always wanted to see U2 live in Dublin itself. That would be an unparalleled experience. I've only been able to see the band live once myself. It was the most recent tour, and in Seattle. Very good. "Rattle and Hum" is still my #1 favorite DVD in my collection. I have "Under a Blood Red Sky, Live at Red Rocks" on backorder at Buy.com. For whatever reason, it's still only available on VHS, not DVD.
                Last edited by Chris D; 20 March 2006, 17:01 Monday.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"