X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ekkoville
    • Aug 2004

Non-HD Broadcasts

Many of you have probably watched an HD broadcast that has been letterboxed on top and bottom as well as both sides. My question is whether or not the left and right cropped picture is really an HD signal or something like 480i or 480p being rescaled. I watched Survivor on HD, it was HD quality, but it was cropped on all sides. Do they really broadcast in HD in a 4:3 format, or is it scaled?
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Survivor is not in HD.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

They can (and do) broadcast it in a 4:3 ratio...

We watched part of the Pro-Bowl and it was in a 4:3 ratio, but definitely in high definition. It sucked bad...I'm not sure why ESPN did that, nor do I understand what the reasoning is behind it.

But some things one can tell is HD, but not in a 16:9 ratio.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

It's not HD, just SD material shown on an HD channel. The extra res does help and I find is generally better PQ than SD but nowhere close to HD. Consider it similar to "upsampled".
        Jason

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

Well, if it is SD on a HD channel, it is much better than SD on the regular channels with my 40" tube. So, is an external scaler capable of that quality with SD chanels? Or, is it cost prohibitve?

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

"Double Letterboxing" is one of my all-time biggest complaints about HDTV. If something must be filmed in SD 4:3 aspect ratio, great. Then broadcast it as such, and I'll watch it in the native 4:3 aspect ratio and accept the black bars on the left and right of the screen. But if something is natively widescreen, then PLEASE, PLEASE, don't box it into a 4:3 screen with letterboxing at the top and bottom and then broadcast it again in 16:9 with boxing on the sides.

Things that are natively widescreen, when broadcast over HDTV, should only have any necessary black boxing at the top and bottom of the screen. (i.e. 2.35/1 movies) Even if it's just upconverted, not a true HD transfer.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

If it's not HD, I'm completely fooled, because I've seen the same game broadcast on ABC and on ESPN one time and both where in HD, one was 16x9 the other was 4:3... there was no quality loss in the 4:3 section when you switched between the two channels....... There was no "letterboxing" on the top and bottom of the broadcast, it was just 4:3 with the HD logos on the sides....

That's the way the whole Pro Bowl came over for me... ...and I doubt they wouldn't put that in 16x9...

So if that's SD, I don't need HD! lol.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Holland
                • Oct 2005

Well it all depends on what tv you have and viewing distance, and you eye side

If you have a true HDTV I think you could see a difference but since most HDTV's are still EDTV's imo the differences are small. I didn't see any difference between de panny 42'' ED and HDTV.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"