X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

Toslink to Coaxial adapters?

So, I'm going to be in a "dilemma" soon.

I currently have the following devices with digital outputs:

Xbox - toslink (I still use the xbox for xbox media center)
    Xbox 360 - toslink
    Dvd player - coaxial

I'm getting a new STB that has toslink outputs. My Rotel RSP-1068 has 2 toslink and 3 coaxial inputs.

My question is, has anyone ever used one of these converters? Are they good/bad? I don't really want to play switchy everytime I want to use my xboxes, but I'd rather do that than have to use a convertor that is crappy.
    My gear
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

You could also you an optical switching box to save you having to plug in and un plug the connection. From what I've heard from a couple of others using the optical to coax converters they havn't had a problem with them. I will probably have the same issue when I replace my STB which is currently coax with the newer version that only has optical out into my Rotel RSP-1066. Basically the Rotel gear should have an extra optical input in the first place.

Originally posted by Kyle
    So, I'm going to be in a "dilemma" soon.

I currently have the following devices with digital outputs:

Xbox - toslink (I still use the xbox for xbox media center)
    Xbox 360 - toslink
    Dvd player - coaxial

I'm getting a new STB that has toslink outputs. My Rotel RSP-1068 has 2 toslink and 3 coaxial inputs.

My question is, has anyone ever used one of these converters? Are they good/bad? I don't really want to play switchy everytime I want to use my xboxes, but I'd rather do that than have to use a convertor that is crappy.
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I've used them before. No noticeable degredation. Hell I've converted to coaxial then split it from there (to run multiple receivers). Just put it on your lowest priority source, just in case.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kyle
        • Jan 2005

Hm, optical switching box might be a better solution (cheaper anyway). I'll have to see if there are any that take IR so I can program my Harmony to switch it.

Yeah, I agree, the Rotel should either be 3 toslink 2 coax (toslink seems more popular) or have 3 of each!
        My gear

Comment

• Kyle
          • Jan 2005

That looks pretty nice, it switches inputs based on which is on. I shouldn't have both of my xboxes on at the same time, so that could do the job.

There is also this one, but I'm not sure I could train my harmony to control it:

My gear

Comment

• Kyle
            • Jan 2005

Oh, I just read the bit about priority, that seems perfect!
            My gear

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"