X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Sometimes I forget how good my SA 8260 is

I find myself listening to music files on my computer, or streaming music from sources like youtube or Amazon Prime while I'm cleaning the house or just doing dishes, etc.. I forget just how substandard my computer is for music. One of the things I like about my motherboard is the fact that the SQ is a lot better than the awful Realtek chips on the Asus boards I usually use (I have a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7), but it's still blecch. Then I toss one of my few remaining CDs in the Marantz and I'm stunned all over again by the performance. I've owned it since I signed up here over 10 years ago and it still sounds fantastic. Is it the best in the world? Nah, and it wasn't when I bought it, but it was a hell of a lot closer than $1100 should have gotten me. I think they're going for around $350-$400 now on the used market. If you can pick one up for $350 buy it. Seriously. The redbook performance is still outstanding (I think it beats the RCD 1072 from Rotel easily) and the SACD performance is stellar. It also reminds me that my amp is capable of punching well above its weight class, especially in Class A. And my speakers, well, Kal Rubinson bought a pair. That says something. My gear is getting a little long in the tooth without a doubt. Hell, so am I. But I can still get a lot of great music from it. It makes me happy and I enjoy it. I think I said this was probably my last stereo when I joined the 'Guide, so I was careful about what I picked. We are a niche market, and it's still fun to drag someone in the house and put on something like Sheryl Crow's Tuesday Night Music Club and watch their face change as they silently mouth "Whoa!", or sit them in the sweet spot and crank up The Hollies "Long Cool Woman" and watch them look back and forth at the speakers. I like my gear, all these years later. Because it lets me love the music all over again. Isn't that why we're here?
    Cheers.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

the gear is the vehicle which transports us to the destination, which is the music.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"