X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim1961
    • Nov 2012

Music Server Help

This is what I want.

A device that I can upload hi-rez files to via win7 usb 2.0 computer and via RCA digital (cable) outs play them back through my Rega DAC.

I have been trying to catch up on media/music servers and what I find always has way more than I need.

I dont need:

1) streaming from the net (in fact, it doesnt need to have any internet capability)
    2) a built in DAC (already have a DAC)
    3) CD ripper (can rip on the computer)
    4) wireless or network interfaces (except a USB-in to interface with the computer for uploads to the server)
    5) built in amplification for speakers or headphones of any kind
    6) huge storage space (1/2 TB is plenty)(more is OK of course)

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

maybe a laptop running Foobar with an iFi converter?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

(5) is going to be an issue since it has to be driven by the external DAC.

So, ignoring that, why not just use the Win7PC you have? Add Foobar or JRiver and, perhaps, an external drive/NAS for the files if your PC cannot handle the "huge storage space."

(??? Who made me a Stereiophile Consultant?)
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jim1961
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        So, ignoring that, why not just use the Win7PC you have? Add Foobar or JRiver and, perhaps, an external drive/NAS for the files if your PC cannot handle the "huge storage space."
        Sure, I could do that. But ive gotten from many that a win7->USB ->IFI isnt the best environment or path for super high quality output.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jim1961
          Sure, I could do that. But ive gotten from many that a win7->USB ->IFI isnt the best environment or path for super high quality output.
          Excessive obsessiveness. Of course, if your PC is doing lots of other stuff, you might want a separate one. I have had great results with a Win10 laptop with SSD and USB out although it is not my main system because is lacks sufficient storage for me.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jim1961
            • Nov 2012

Excessive obsessiveness. Of course, if your PC is doing lots of other stuff, you might want a separate one. I have had great results with a Win10 laptop with SSD and USB out although it is not my main system because is lacks sufficient storage for me.
            USB is not the choice for many, and not for me as a interface medium. I said in the beginning, I want coaxial outputs. And taking USB and converting to coaxial might be the worst of both worlds.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

USB is not the choice for many, and not for me as a interface medium. I said in the beginning, I want coaxial outputs. And taking USB and converting to coaxial might be the worst of both worlds.
              Well. my bias for USB is based on the fact that S/PDIF (coax) cannot do multichannel. Recently, I compared S/PDIF with USB+S/PDIF conversion and the differences were not decisive in very revealing and expensive setup. Frankly, I think the particular components and applications are more significant than USB vs. S/PDIF. (I am assuming you do not have and cannot add a good S/PDIF output to your PC.)
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jim1961
                • Nov 2012

Well. my bias for USB is based on the fact that S/PDIF (coax) cannot do multichannel. Recently, I compared S/PDIF with USB+S/PDIF conversion and the differences were not decisive in very revealing and expensive setup. Frankly, I think the particular components and applications are more significant than USB vs. S/PDIF. (I am assuming you do not have and cannot add a good S/PDIF output to your PC.)
                My application is 2 channel only. On my system, the audible difference between USB and Coax is significant.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

My application is 2 channel only. On my system, the audible difference between USB and Coax is significant.
                  If so, it is situational but significant.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jim1961
                    • Nov 2012

My DAC needs a coax input. So basically what I am asking here is what device can deliver that in a inexpensive (<$1000) and high quality way. I dont need the bells and whistles that most music servers offer, so in theory, not having them should save $$$.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                      • Dec 2006

This is what I want.

A device that I can upload hi-rez files to via win7 usb 2.0 computer and via RCA digital (cable) outs play them back through my Rega DAC.

I have been trying to catch up on media/music servers and what I find always has way more than I need.

I dont need:

1) streaming from the net (in fact, it doesnt need to have any internet capability)
                      2) a built in DAC (already have a DAC)
                      3) CD ripper (can rip on the computer)
                      4) wireless or network interfaces (except a USB-in to interface with the computer for uploads to the server)
                      5) built in amplification for speakers or headphones of any kind
                      6) huge storage space (1/2 TB is plenty)(more is OK of course)

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
                      I'm by far not an expert in music server stuff ....... Though you might want to take a look at the Auralic products? The Auralic Mini might get you what you need, even though it does some of the extra stuff you don't need on your list and the price is pretty reasonable. Their website seems to have a good support center that explains what their products are about. http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us
                      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• jim1961
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                        I'm by far not an expert in music server stuff ....... Though you might want to take a look at the Auralic products? The Auralic Mini might get you what you need, even though it does some of the extra stuff you don't need on your list and the price is pretty reasonable. Their website seems to have a good support center that explains what their products are about. http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us
                        This seemingly does everything I want. But, the only way to control it is via Iphone or Ipad, and I have neither

I suppose this may be a problem for me with any device like this (control interface).

Comment

• Steve Manning
                          • Dec 2006

This seemingly does everything I want. But, the only way to control it is via Iphone or Ipad, and I have neither

I suppose this may be a problem for me with any device like this (control interface).
                          If you go for an older generation Ipad Mini they can be had for a good price these days ..... something like this, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ip...?skuId=2557948. You certainly would not need the latest and greatest to control the Auralic. At that price you would still be under your $1K budget.

Comment

• jim1961
                            • Nov 2012

If you go for an older generation Ipad Mini they can be had for a good price these days ..... something like this, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ip...?skuId=2557948. You certainly would not need the latest and greatest to control the Auralic. At that price you would still be under your $1K budget.
                            I have this exact same thread at DIYaudio, Gearslutz and AVS. So far, I have had more responses here at HT than the other three combined and your two posts have been the only ones directly helpful.

Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                              • Dec 2006

I have this exact same thread at DIYaudio, Gearslutz and AVS. So far, I have had more responses here at HT than the other three combined and your two posts have been the only ones directly helpful.

Thanks.
                              Your welcome ..... again double check me, because I'm certainly no expert on the stuff, but it looks like it should do what you need. I know Jon has the big brother to the mini and is pretty happy with it.

Comment

• jim1961
                                • Nov 2012

Your welcome ..... again double check me, because I'm certainly no expert on the stuff, but it looks like it should do what you need. I know Jon has the big brother to the mini and is pretty happy with it.
                                I looked at that one also. Perhaps Jon will chime in and tell us about it.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"