X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Bricasti M1

Dan (PewterTA) brought his newly acquired, V slightly used Bricasti M1 DAC over to my place yesterday for some casual listening.

i will start by saying, The Wife, who does not share my obsession, does share a passion for music.
    additionally, she also has quite a discriminating ear for fidelity.
    to such a level, actually, that she has seldom been unable to detect clandestine upgrades.
    to this end, she was quite on queue yesterday, commenting on the the improved sound while the three of us shared dinner, the music coming from the adjacent room.

this is a piece few of us, certainly not me, would ever be fortunate enough to own.
    but Dan took a page out my book, as i only have one piece of equipment in my entire system that was purchased new (that being my Schiit Gungnir DAC).
    maybe in another 5 years, the used market will be such that you & i can truly conceive of owning a piece of equipment like this.

but let us not talk of price, or let that influence the subjective evaluation for now.

in my system, its prowess is immediate front and center.
    it just does everything better.
    period.

how much better?
    look, there is just no denying the law diminishing returns.
    i can still live with my modified Gungnir.......for now.....
    but the M1 puts music on a pedestal.
    the flow, the naturalness, the essence of the musical instrument creating sound waves propagating thru the air, arriving at your ear, transmitted to brain...
    it is all there, as real-world as i have yet heard from my system.

so this is just a teaser for now, as soon we will be doing more extensive reviews on the M1, and Dan will be sending this unit to Jon Marsh for Bench Testing in the near future, also.

one other thing that the M1 has allowed us is some investigation into the world of DSD.
    some surprising & interesting first impressions on that front, but that too, will have to wait for a future & thorough evaluation.

Last edited by wkhanna; 02 May 2016, 10:38 Monday. Reason: typos
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

One of the nice things about an experience like that in your own system, is that it clearly shows the potential and points the way forward, so to speak... Sounds like you had a great experience, and I hope you can update us soon on the other aspects of it.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I don't have a picture, but I just got it back after sending it in to get the SE upgrade ($1,000) to it as well as the Network streamer installed ($500).... I believe in the upgrade the clocks were changes out with better clocks, some other parts throughout the DAC were changed and Still Point isolation feet were put on.

To say it's the same DAC, even after the 2 week turn around, it's night and day better than it was (which I thought it was one of the best DACs I've heard. This just takes everything up a notch better. Vocals are very realistic and smooth and impressive. I feel like it's the best of Digital with everything one would love of a vinyl system (the smoothness, realism, and musicality)... I haven't heard any real good R2R Ladder DACs, but my guess is the Bricasti M1 SE would definitely give them a run for their money. Extremely impressed with the upgrade!

Now to have it put on the Bench. Hee hee. Maybe someday!
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

i really gotta get over there to hear this beast!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"