I thought I'd scored a 4K BD player for $7, but....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I thought I'd scored a 4K BD player for $7, but....

I went to the local Goodwill store to see if they had any cool stuff I wanted. I saw a Sony UBP-X700 Ultra HD Blu Ray player box sitting there priced at $7. I peeked inside the box to make sure there was the player inside, which there was, and the remote too, and grabbed it. What do I have to lose, besides seven bucks, right?

I brought it home, hooked it up, and the menus show up! Good start, then I put a UHD BD in, and... nothing. "Cannot play this disc" or something to that effect. I tried a regular BD, and that worked fine. A DVD worked as well. Tried another UHD disc, no dice. I was wondering if it was faulty, or it just was refusing to play UHD discs on my 720p plasma set, but then I was like, hey... is this the player that the box says it is? I took a closer look... Sony BDP-S390. Ok... it's a regular Blu Ray player, not a UHD. Seems to work perfectly though, other than not being UHD.

I guess someone upgraded their regular BD to a UHD BD, then threw their old one in the box and took it to Goodwill.

What I get for not checking the contents more carefully before buying. At least I have a spare BD player for my seven bucks.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Nothing wrong with having a spare (I have several--have to have something to spin SACDs in case a main player dies).

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

This isn't the only time this has happened to me too. I bought, at a garage sale, a box that said Instant Pot on it, but when I opened it up (like a month later, as I was busy then), I found there was a different brand of electric pressure cooker in the box. Not quite what I was expecting, but at least I didn't pay a lot for it.

Originally posted by Ovation
      Nothing wrong with having a spare (I have several--have to have something to spin SACDs in case a main player dies).
      SACD... now there's something you don't hear much about these days. I have Pink Floyd DSOTM on multichannel SACD, and maybe a couple others like Titanic soundtrack.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I feel for you, not getting what you expected, but for $7 you still got a pretty good deal!

Now, re SACD… would you guys believe I have a modified late model Oppo BD player just for digital extraction of SACD’s? And another of the same model, for actually playing 4K BluRay! I’m still looking at another 4K HDR player, just to see if I need support for all the HDR standards. But frankly, IT’s unfortunately a low priority due to lack of free time!
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
          Master of None
          • Jan 2014

I never had that issue with HT equipment, only with Zwave switches from Lowes. I bought a Zwave dimmer switch for $50.00 and didn't bother opening it for 3 months because I wasn't ready to use it. Dumb move, opened the box when I was swapping the switch finally only to find a regular single pole non smart switch. I learned I need to open the box every time I purchase now. The box had not looked like it was tampered with either, but after clearer inspection the sticker had been pulled back once. Needless to say that is the most expensive single pole switch I have ever bought!
          Painter in training

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"