X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mj1856
    • Jul 2004

Polk Speaker Comparison

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help so far in my thread about power ratings. I thought I should break up the speaker discussion into it's own thread.

So, I thought I was settled on which speakers to get, so I went down to Circuit City to give them a good listen before searching online where to buy.

I was going originally to look at the Polk R50(specs here). They sounded pretty good, but for good measure I thought I would compare it to the other models they had there.

I did a good back-and-forth comparsion with the Polk Monitor 50 (specs here). I must say - there's a night and day difference and the Monitor 50's are superior by far. They produced a far superior sound stage - much more presence, and a richer, fuller sound.

I'm confused because they're almost identical, except the drivers on the Monitor 50's are actually smaller than on the R50's. How can it be that a smaller speaker produces a fuller range? According to the specs, the Monitor 50's have a higher range than the R50's - both on the higher end (more range) and on the lower end (less range). But listening to them, I could swear that the Monitor 50's had better lows also. Am I just immagining things?

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience and solicit opinions.

Thanks,
    Matt
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"