X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zpanky
    • Mar 2003

Older electrical wiring

My house was built about 35 years ago, and I'm a little concerned about the wiring. Over the years, we have various "problem outlets" with too many power hungry electronic devices or appliances hooked up to the same circuits. As an example, we have 5 TV's, 2 kitchens with full appliances, etc, etc. The house just wasn't built to handle all of the power hungry electronics we've acquired over the years. I believe, I have my entire HT hooked up to a 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it. Everything runs fine, but I would like to add additional power amps and a projector over the next year or so. Is there any type of device I can buy which will take the current from the single 20 amp circuit and enhance and redistribute the necessary power to ensure I have enough juice to comfortably run all my equipment?

Thanks
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hiya, zpanky. Unless someone else has another solution to bring up, I think you're really best off by running a NEW dedicated electrical circuit (or two or three) to your theater if you're looking to make improvements with electrical power. I personally have five dedicated circuits in my theater room, but I had them installed with the construction of the house. My circuits:

1 & 2. two dedicated 20 amp circuits to the equipment area for equipment only
    3. Dedicated 15 amp circuit to projector
    4. Dedicated 20 amp circuit to lighting control box (i.e. light switch) to power all lighting
    5. 15 amp circuit for normal code outlets spaced out along the walls for miscellaneous items in theater (such as powered curtains) and one floor outlet by seating

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

I agree with Chris. With a single 20 amp circuit, the only "device" to safely and effectively "enhance and redistribute" the current available to power all the additional equipment you want to add to your HT is another circuit.

While "power management systems", surge protectors, power conditioners, etcetera, have their place, they can only work with the juice that comes from the circuit -- they do not magically manufacture more. (They may make it purer, but they can't make it grow.) :>) A device like the Richard Grey Power Company can even-out peaks and valleys, but it still operates within the overall capacity limits of the circuit to which it is connected.

A consultation from a qualified, licensed electrician (preferably one who has worked with other homeowners with HTs and who can furnish postive references) who would look over your house's electrical system and make recommendations regarding the additional circuit(s) would be a good investment. Then, once you've decided you can afford it, let him do the work. (IOW, don''t try to run the new circuit(s) yourself. In most areas, that violates buiding codes and where electricity and wiring is concerned, it is usually better to let a professional handle it anyway.)

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"