X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chasw98
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

More Power

I am getting to ready to run some dedicated circuits to my audio system. I am currently (ha ha) using a single 20 amp circuit to power 2 EP2500's, 2 EP1500's, Pre/Pro, DVD, HTPC, and other low level gear. (I have not tripped the circuit breaker yet). I have a Monster HTS3500 and just bought a Belkin PF40. I want to power the amplifiers off of dedicated circuits right from the AC service.

Here are my questions.

01) Should I run 3 20 amp circuits with #10 THHN hot and individual neutrals (and ground) straight from the AC service or 30 amp circuits with different gauge wiring?

02) Since the power going to the amps will be coming straight from the service bypassing any filtration a la Belkin or Monster, what should I use at the service for any protection? Mov's or something like that?

The length of the run from the panel to the final destination is approx. 50 feet. All wiring will be in EMT pipe. I am assuming that these circuits should also originate from the same leg of the incoming power and not from different phases. In the future, I hope to purchase some balanced power transformers that I would mount at the service to feed these circuits. My thinking is that one 20 amp circuit would feed the Belkin PF40 and run the low level gear through time delay and switched outlets and then dedicate 2 20 amp circuits for power amplifiers. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Chuck
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I use a whole house surge protector on my main panel. There are in-line hardwired whole house units that are pretty easy to install in a situation like yous.

The more individual runs the greater the potential for ground loops.

Although it's trendy to feed a dedicated run to each power amp, the reality is that this is never really needed for the relatively modest demands of home audio.

I run all my power amps through some form of add-on filtration. I've seen posts where people state that 'chokes' the dynamics of the music. My experience doesn't validate those claims

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I use a whole house surge protector on my main panel. There are in-line hardwired whole house units that are pretty easy to install in a situation like yous.

I have looked into the Panamax units, about $100.00 ea.

The more individual runs the greater the potential for ground loops.

So 2 30 amp circuits rather than 3 20 amp circuits?

Although it's trendy to feed a dedicated run to each power amp, the reality is that this is never really needed for the relatively modest demands of home audio.

I run all my power amps through some form of add-on filtration. I've seen posts where people state that 'chokes' the dynamics of the music. My experience doesn't validate those claims

What do you use for "add on filtration"? Do you mean like a PF40 or some such device?

If I am not having any issues now is it even worth doing it?

Comment

• JonW
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Hey Fellas,

I was thinking about adding a whole house surge protector at home. Heck, I think my refrigerator might cost more to replace than any individual piece of my audio gear. :B Do you guys have any specific recommendations- for specific equipment or things I should be doing to the house?

And Thomas, your signature quote is excellent. :rofl:

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Chuck,

I use lots of things. First there are several 20 amp balanced power transformers. The power amps (I have lots since there are 3&4 way active systems) are remotely triggered using Furman PS-Pro II 20A sequencers. These have pretty good filtration built in

JonW,

Thank Garrison Keillor... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Thanks, Thomas. Now I have a little better idea of what components to look for and how to set them up. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"