Cheap tweak series, article I: Cable management, the nemisis of home theater?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Cheap tweak series, article I: Cable management, the nemisis of home theater?

Wiring is a difficult problem to solve. Especially with racks that are more open than closed in. Mine did look like the back side of a Nasa control center before finally getting back there and straightening it out. The more gear you have, the more difficult the task of course.

Try to group power cords together, video together, and audio together and keep them separate! Your soundstage and image will be improved for it. Separate power cords from everything else, and if you must cross them, cross at 90 degree angle as much as possible.

Cat will soon be introducing some handy velcro cable management ties. I used those on my own system, and they were great! Yes, those do cost a pretty good penny, but the benefit is reusability on the fly. You can accomplish similar results with plastic ties that are teethed to use once, and throw away when you change them. These are called wiring harness ties I think. NEVER use garbage bag ties, unless they are the plastic kind that have jagged edges to catch in a hole. The bread tie is no good, because they can be metal underneath paper. Trust me, you think it can't happen to you? If one of those things grounded out the wrong thing, it could be disastrous.

The benefit to applying some basic cable management principles to my own system was a dead quite background, and no video noise whatsoever. No hums or interference of any kind. Turst me, I've had those problems before, and it's no fun.

Enjoy,
    Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Good suggestion on the Velcro, o' mighty one. I've been using Velcro straps for about a year now and they're GREAT! No chance of over tightening and cutting a cable, it's re-usable, it's easy to modify a layout, etc.

I'm also a believer (too) in separating interconnect, speaker and power cord runs as much as possible. It minimizes the chances of cross-talk, and this is an easily noticable improvement.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I redid my rack's wireing a few months ago with the intent on cleaning it up...it is better then it was but given the sheer number of wires it still ended up messier then I'd like.

Comment

• mazuly
        • Feb 2003

Things that make you go hmmm: Separating video from audio. I guess I have a new project for today.

Thanks Dr. Lex.

Maziar

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Cleaning up the wire and cable mess behind my rack ? Yeah, one of these days when I'm feeling brave. :P

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Glad to be of assistance Maziar. (Later that day, he was saying that da.. Lex, got me into this crap. If I wasn't up to my elbows in wire, I'd sign on and give him a piece of my mind! )

George, come on man, get back there with the dust kooties and do your thang!

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Hawklord
              • Sep 2003

Another good option for cable management are "Cable Cuffs". They are cheap and come in a variety of sizes. I use them.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"