X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tominizer
    • Aug 2003

Rotel 1095 or Anthem MCA 50 !??!?!?

HELP !??!

Which way to go here!?! I haven't been able to find anywhere that I can A/B these two amps. I have a complete Rotel system now and I'm happy with it. But the front end is likely to eventually be replaced with an AVM-20. I'm selling off my RB 985 THX 5 channle amp to get more power. I'm kepping the RB 991 THX for a sub applacition. So I was thinking of going Rotel 1095 for cosmetic reasons and also because the piece got great reviews and I think it sounds great and is good value for the money. HOWEVER, I'm being told that the Anthem is sonically cleaner at lower to medium listening levels...................... while the Rotel kicks butt all the way up to insanely loud levels but is not as clean.

Anyone A/B'ed these and can provide any insight ?!?!??!?!??
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I would think both would be a great addition to your system. What sort of price difference are we talking about? I agree about the Rotels looking much much better:T

Comment

• tominizer
      • Aug 2003

Both are similar and yet have differences. It's a close match, and yet it isn't.............. if that makes any sense !!! Anthem is just around the corner from me so support would be easily obtained for any issues. And I also like the idea of buying Canadian and supporting the locals, if you know what I mean. And yet I love the Rotel stuff and once again the 1095 cosmetically fits. Arrrrgh. :roll:

On more generalized terms:

Rotel slightly more power with all channels driven into 8 ohms (200x5 verses 180x5 with the Anthem).

Anthem slightly less back breaking work to move, although the Rotel has a pair of rollers (61lbs versus 75lbs on the Rotel)

Not sure if the Anthem has fully balanced inputs or is like the Rotel where it's paritially balanced.

Anthem can be triggered............. Rotel can't. Then again, I have a Rotel RLC 900, so that doesn't really matter.

There are a bunch of other minor dfiferences as well, but not sure they matter very much.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
        • Sep 2003

tominizer...

You find a buyer for your 985 yet? If not, shoot me an email ASAP, thanks! I'd be interested in taking that 991 off your hands as well :LOL:

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
        GameTracker -My List-
        Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Aeromos
          • Jun 2003

Hey tominizer,

Would you be buying direct from Anthem or through a dealer? Also what kind of deal would you be getting if you went with Anthem? Just curious.

Aeromos
          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
          My Collection
          Aeromos
          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
          My Collection

Comment

• tominizer
            • Aug 2003

You have been emailed. I think the 985 thx may be sold. I may give up the 991 if the price is right.

I'd be going through a dealer. If you're here in Toronto or close by, let me know and maybe something can be worked out for whatever you need as well.

tkliem@markham.ca

Comment

• tominizer
              • Aug 2003

Just an update............ 985 is sold, kept the 991 and bought two more. Still haven't done anything about a pre/pro though. Anthem is looking around $3500 CAN plus government or something like that.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"