X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

Hot deal on Denon 2900

Hello Rotel mates. Hot deal right now at ecost for the Denon 2900. "B" stock", suspect many are new for $507.50. Only 14 coming in minus the one I aready gobbled up.

Jeff
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Thanks for the heads up Jeff.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hmm $507 - selling my Denon 1600 on ePay = posibility :yesnod: :nonod: hmmm i'll have to think on this one.

FYI its $801 Cdn landed on my doorstep incl all duty and tax etc.

Comment

• Aeromos
        • Jun 2003

Did they say what classified them as "B-Stock"? Was it just something on a cosmetic level or internal components?

Aeromos
        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
        My Collection
        Aeromos
        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
        My Collection

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Aeromos,

This really doesn't answer what you ask, but Andrew and I both bought our Denon 1600's from Ecost and they turned out fine. On the other hand, I've heard others complaining about the packing, policies, etc. from the same company.

I'd also say that, sometimes, B-stock, can be better than A-Stock in that certain problems the company was unaware of when a product was released are now corrected. I know that when I was looking for a CHEAP dvd player for my daughter, I saw one over at Ubid. Researched it and found what seemed to be the total ownership complaining that it broke down pretty quickly after purchase. Turns out it was a faulty chip or something, which Toshiba replaced in the refurbs. Bid $29 for the Toshiba, won, and a year later, the thing still works like a champ.

Still, the question is an important one. Wonder if they'd give out the information over the telephone.

Another important question is whether they are an authorized outlet for Rotel products and, if not, how much the extended warranty runs. With the Denons, it was $19/year.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
            • Jul 2003

They are authorized, and as you said, many of the B stocks are tweaked up A stock. Talked to Denon, there are no lemons. Plus it is warranteed and as mentioned, cheap to extend. Bought a CD player from them- perfect. $79- for a 5 disc Denon 370. I would not have jumped at it if I thought there was any downside. Dakmart has the same units for around $750- so what do you think?

Jeff

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

Wow,

I wish I could find a deal like that. I cannot get it for anything less then 1100 Euro's. And this is an internet price. So Warranty if something fails ? Dunno.

Looks like Denon makes big steps with universal players. http://www.denon.de shows the all new dvd-A1, dvd-2200 and dvd-1400.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
              Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
              Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• will1066
                • Aug 2003

I just ordered one. Thanks for the hot tip, Jeff. Did they tell you like they did with me that the units are due in from Denon on Aug 30? I figure these refurbished units will be just as factory-fresh with any previous defects/design flaws addressed by Denon. I got free ground shipping and also the 1-yr extended warranty (on top of Denon's own) for $29. They charged a $5 processing and handling fee. Normally, I'd be up in arms over that but... a 2900 for $540, what the hell, right? Let it go. :? I figure I'll see the player at my door around first week of September.

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                  • Jul 2003

Will-

Glad you were able to grab one. Question- I was told there is a 90 day warantee and the cost of a one year extension $59. Did you here differently? I agree, these will be essentially new units with the glitches out. I also think they will be coming out with a firmwear upgrade soon. Let me know about the warantee.

Jeff

Comment

• will1066
                    • Aug 2003

Jeff, I can't recall exactly. But I got the 1-yr for $29. The guy on the phone did offer longer ones. I think the $59 one must be for 2 or 3 yrs. I'd check back with ecost to be sure.

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                      • Jul 2003

Will-

You may want to check back to make sure they gave you the right coverage. Checked twice, plus online. They said absolutely $29 is not the charge for 1 year. Should be $59 for one year, 79 for two. I would like to hope you got a good deal but I suspect it was a mistake.

Jeff

Comment

• clm811
                        • Nov 2002

8O
                        Guys,
                        When you hear the firmware update is available, please let me know!
                        -Chas CLM811@excite.com
                        p.s. The Denon website now shows a new Universal model DVD2200, with most of the features of the 2900, but with 1792 PCM/DSD chipset, and a retail of around $600!!!
                        Charles Moore

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                          • Jul 2003

Chas-

The upgrade of the 2900 will retail for 2,000. That model is not the equivalent of the 2900. Had spoken with the guys at Denon. That model is not the equivalent of the 2900.

Jeff

Comment

• will1066
                            • Aug 2003

Jeff, did you get an e-invoice? This is what I got:

Item # 775228
                            Manufacturer Part No. 1CEC02
                            1 YEAR MISC CE $300-$699.99
                            Quantity: 1
                            Price: $29.95
                            Extended Price: $29.95

I did remember the guy saying he could get me a good deal on the warranty. I don't know, maybe he was in a good mood or something.

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

To add a bit of clarification regarding the price of the extended warranty. When I first bought my Denon 1600 online, you could click a button to add an extended warranty. The price listed was, if I recall $49 for a year. I passed. A day or two later, I had second thoughts and called them to add the warranty, I asked how much it was and was told $19. What you guys are experiencing is similar to what I went through. I would call and say what's been said on this site and ask for the lower priced warranty.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                • Jul 2003

Yes I did get an invoice. They told me the cost of the warantee was different for different items. Yours lists it as Misc(ellaneous), mine specifically lists Camcorder/DVD

Item # 775255
                                Manufacturer Part No. 2CDC02
                                2 YR DIGITAL CAMCORDER, DVD $351-$700
                                Quantity: 1
                                Price: $79.95
                                Extended Price: $79.95

I will call to see if a MISC warantee would be binding, or if you were sold something that they would in retrospect say, wrong warantee. Certainly think some warantee is important for such an expensive piece. They did tell me there was a separate category for Cams/DVD's. I will check.

Thanks Jeff

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

Perplexing isn't it?

I did receive my warranty contract (they didn't send it until a couple of months had passed) specifies it is for the Denon 1600 I purchased for them.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

I think in the next 6 months you're going to see a lot of deals on the 2900, with the release of the new 2200 and 5900 which will **somewhat** replace it. It looks like the 2900 falls somewhere in the middle of the features and performance of the other two. So yes, you could probably find one for a decent price.

CHRIS
                                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                      • Jul 2003

Keith-

I suspect that MISC is a backdoor to a lower price if they want to offer it. Certainly, they make a ton of money on the extended warantees. I have already left an email with my guy there telling him to change mine to the MISC category or cancel it. I suspect Will's guy was giving him a good deal. They have a category for DVD, but it seems they have a way around it. I suspect 2 years on the MISC category will save me about 35-40 bucks. What the heck, better than a sharp stick in the eye. The Denon 2900 has not even been out a year. I doubt the bottom is going to fall out on the price. As I said, Dakmart told me there were selling all the B stocks they could get in the mid 7's. 500 for this is a great price. Especially since I am sure they have some firmware fixes soon to come out.

Jeff

Comment

• clm811
                                        • Nov 2002

Jeff,
                                        Do you really think Denon will charge for the firmware update ??

The feature list on Denon's site shows features of the DVD2200 are much the same as the DVD2900(for which I paid $900). The only difference I can see listed were the 1792DAC and single "audio-direct" mode, other than "2 box, 5 block internal layout" (which implies better isolation of audio and video sections).
                                        Do you have information about the 2200 which is not shown? -chas :?

>Jeff wrote: "The upgrade of the 2900 will retail for 2,000. That model is >not the equivalent of the 2900. Had spoken with the guys at Denon. >That model is not the equivalent of the 2900..."

>>Chas wrote: When you hear the firmware update is available, please >>let me know!"

Charles Moore
                                        Charles Moore

Comment

• clm811
                                          • Nov 2002

BTW The only info I can find is:
                                          Denon's own web listing:
                                          http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4
                                          I'd appreciate any other info.
                                          :!:
                                          p.s. check out this THOROUGH review of the 2900:http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/HardwareReviews/Denon2900/Denon2900.html
                                          Charles Moore

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                            • Jul 2003

I don't think anyone said anything about them charging for the firmware update. I also said the upgrade for the 2900 is the 5900 which is clearly a step up but 2 G's. The 2200 is a lesser unit than the 2900. Not the same quality of build and not the same components.

Jeff

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

For everyone's benefit, I've started a new thread here on the new Denon players coming out. Click on http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1

CHRIS
                                              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• clm811
                                                • Nov 2002

Perhaps my question was misunderstood(so i'll rephrase)...

Is a (DVD2900) firmware update available?
                                                If/ when it is available, please let us know!

p.s we are not asking about the other models (DVD3800,DVD5900, etc)
                                                Charles Moore

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                                  • Jul 2003

I was told by a tech guy at Denon (Not "Denon Jeff") that they suspect a firmware upgrade will be coming out in the near future. What that means, I am not sure. Other than they know there are some issues they plan to address.

Jeff

Comment

• will1066
                                                    • Aug 2003

Bump......

Jeff, did you get your 2900 yet? I got mine today. It looks brand new, I could not detect any cosmetic flaws. I got it set up for the most part (all the major functions). Am using some spare interconnects that were laying around for the time being.

Comment

• leeda2
                                                      • May 2003

just missed out on the deal... called ecost yesterday and they said they were sold out and would not be receiving anymore.

does anyone know of any similar deal elsewhere? if not now, if you run into such a deal, would you mind posting the details on this board?

lastly, is there any other unit at a similar price-point with similar specs (i.e. bang per buck)?

thanks!

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                                        • Jul 2003

Will-
                                                        Got my player three days ago. Like your it looked amazing- came double boxed with a Denon box and all the fixin's inside. Was really excited at what looks to be a brand new unit. Plugged it in briefly and it ROCKS! Great sound and rigged my new projector (just got the last Epson TW100 from the far east for 2100-) with a sheet on the wall. It looked pretty darn good for such a half assed setup. Can't wait till everything is calibrated and a high quality screen is hooked up (I think the Dalite HighContrast Cinevision). Was going to ask Lex about what connection to the projector would give the best results, component, optical, etc, and what are the length of run limitations.

I am glad you were able to pluck a unit- they only had fourteen. When I called them on a tip they did not even realize they were getting them. May not get many more. Lot of resistence from other sellers at the price they sell them at.

Jeff

Comment

• will1066
                                                          • Aug 2003

Leeda, sorry you missed out on the deal. I hope another one will come soon for you. Just keep an eye out on the board and I'm sure nice folks like Jeff will mention anything that develops.

Jeff, glad yours came through, as well. And congrats on the Epson. The picture, out of the box, is quite superior to my Sony DVP-NS715P. And I'm running just S-video, calibrated with a THX Optimizer, to my old analog TV -- not videophile by a long shot (I bought it mainly for SACD and DVD-A). The sound quality is very good, indeed, though I need to delve deeper before I can sound off on it. And I only have a combined three hi-res discs.

I'm still in a bit of awe to see it sitting on my rack for about half-price.

Comment

• leeda2
                                                            • May 2003

Looks like ecost will be getting in another shipment in 3 to 4 weeks. I placed my order today. Don't know how many they're getting in.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                              • Jan 2002

Yep, I went ahead and bit the bullet myself and ordered me one. Hopefully I'll get it.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Cool sonnie keep us posted

Comment

• Lex
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Apr 2001

When your ready on cables Jeff, just let me know. I'll make my recommendations via email whenever

Lex
                                                                  Doug
                                                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                    • Jan 2002

Welp, it appears I won't be getting the 2900. ecost has canceled my order. They didn't even advise me of it. I just happened to check my order status and found it had been caceled.

:cry:

Fortunately I only ordered 1 SACD and it is hybrid so at least I'll be able to listen to it until I find another universal player. My Toshiba will play DVD-Audio... I ordered a couple of those.

I've been looking at the Pioneer DV-563A for less than $200 but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the Denon.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Sonnie as I said in the TTP thread call ecost and make sure that they aren't getting any more in. They canceled my 1600 order as well but it turned out to just be the system automatically stopping all outstanding orders that were so many days old.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                        • Jan 2002

I did call but they stated they would not be getting anymore in.

I also called Denon and they stated they had some B-stock units available but I'd have to get a dealer to order one for me. I called ecost back but they would not order it for me.

I have been considering the Denon DVD-2200 as well that has just been released. According to Denon there is not very much difference between the two. I can get it for around $500 brand new.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• clm811
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2002

Announcement from Jeff Talmadge at Denon USA,
                                                                          (exerpted from AVS Forum) :

... the firmware for the DVD-2900 is NOW AVAILABLE and ready to be sent to those who request it. The firmware is for serial numbered units 3048404741 and lower, all other serial #s do not need the firmware as it they were corrected at the factory.

THIS FIRMWARE IS FOR UNITED STATES/CANADA CUSTOMERS ONLY!

It corrects the following:

1. Pixel Cropping - as reported by Stacey Spears
                                                                          2. RS-232C protocol changes
                                                                          3. Freezing issues with the AVIA Test Disc

There is no fix for the 'Chroma Bug' for 3:2 Alt Flag material or 4:2:0 material. Sorry.

I am not going to post, or e-mail, the firmware for download as there are too many variables that can corrupt the data, which could seriously damage your player. I will send them to you, at no charge of course. I am also not going to state any 'firmware version checks procedure' as I am not updated from the factory when there are version changes, so I feel this will cut down on everyones confusion on which version is current and/or correct.

Please [contact] me with your request and shipping information, including phone number.

Also will someone copy this post for me where other DVD-2900 owners reside. Thanks!...

View entire thread at: [url]http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=236324&goto=newpost
                                                                          Charles Moore

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                            • Jan 2002
                                                                            • 2858

Cool... thanks for the info. That should mean that mine sitting at Denon will already have the latest firmware when I finally get it.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• leeda2
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • May 2003
                                                                              • 40

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                                                                              I did call but they stated they would not be getting anymore in.

I also called Denon and they stated they had some B-stock units available but I'd have to get a dealer to order one for me. I called ecost back but they would not order it for me.

I have been considering the Denon DVD-2200 as well that has just been released. According to Denon there is not very much difference between the two. I can get it for around $500 brand new.
                                                                              yeah, same thing happened to me... order was cancelled without any notice. anyone know of a dealer that handles this kind of orders? i've tried calling around to a few dealers and none seem to be willing to do a special order.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                                • Jan 2002
                                                                                • 2858

#40
                                                                                Check this thread.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                                                                                😀
                                                                                😂
                                                                                🥰
                                                                                😘
                                                                                🤢
                                                                                😎
                                                                                😞
                                                                                😡
                                                                                👍
                                                                                👎
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"