X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaakan
    • Dec 2002

What will be the next big thing?

A format, a killer app, a new digital port, a real reason to upgrade. I am open up the floor to everyone. Sci-fi or Sci fact it doesn't matter what you have in you mind just share it.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, DVI, and HD-DVD at some point will be a good reason to upgrade. HDTV for those of us behind the video curve.

I think Audio formats have about went as far as they can go for a while, short of independent manufacturer's own matrixed type sounds. I mean, 7.1 channels is about as far as most of us could or would go. At least I can't see the need for additional. I didn't even buy into rear center, because I didn't want the distraction right behind me.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by jaakan
      ...a real reason to upgrade...
      That really depends on where you are now. For movie playback, if you are still using a Dolby Stereo receiver from the early 1990s or before, then an update to something more recent would be in order -- the "reason" would be better surround effects and probably better performance all around (pun intended). :>) Of course, if older components are starting to fail and are no longer repairable at a reasonable cost, then the need to upgrade is self-evident.

OTOH, if you have a "state-of-the-art" (SOTA) separates system with all the most recent bells and whistles and every component being "best of class", the impetus for a meaningful upgrade might well take the form of something only imagined now. If your system lies somewhere in between, with one or more components showing their age (meaning their lag behind what is considered SOTA today has started to become annoying) but the system as a whole being pretty good, then the "weak links" invite updating.

In my case, my system pretty well satisfies me except for the front projector which is starting to show its age. But even that can wait while the "technology wars" are being fought and new units with spectacular performance continue to drop in price.

Now if someone were to invent a relatively inexpensive universal remote (less than or equal to the cost of what I'm using now) that could read our minds to accept commands, I might consider replacing my Pronto... :>)

Burke

PS -- if you are really "into" music more than movies, then either a separate system of high quality separates or a significant enhancement of the converged system may be needed to maximize music playback quality (especially of two channel). Either of those could be considered a serious upgrade for music.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

I'd settle for a voice command interface with my HT. But I know there would be heaps of problems associated with that (Voice recognition confussion for one). So, I'd say for me......."A better front projector and a retractable screen".

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Rock Dog
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2003

It's on the horizon now. Recordable DVD coming into the mainstream, prices dropping. I heard an interview last week stating that they are now find VHS tape has about a 25 year lifespan, then it starts to degrade at an accelerated rate. So they have to work out this DVD recordable format issue fast. Get a standard and get those prices down. I know a lot of people who would love to get their personal memories off of tape ond on DVD. That way that VCR can be a REAL boat anchor like LEX said in another thread.

I agree we've gone about as far as we can with channels. I don't se people going for 10.1 or anyhting like that. Most off us do not have dedicated theater rooms. We have to work our equipment into a daily living space. So the idea of lining the side walls with speakers in order to get degrees of surround depth. That just won't work. Nor do I think we need it.

The next big thing, IMO, is HD-DVD.

I know, being in the industry, that their is a real push for DVD-A or SACD in the automobile as well.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Wireless
            • Feb 2001

The next big thing should be announced in Sept. Projectors based on lasers. Seems to be the real thing with some top dealers and installers saying "yes it's real" but can't say anything else at this point.

John
            My HT Picts
            John
            My HT Picts

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I agree with John. BTW, there's a thread on this subject over at Front Projection.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

The most obvious next "big" thing, of course is a disc that has video that equals the capabilities of the newest TVs. A even bigger thing is the possibility of 3d imaging that works and doesn't cause eyestrain, or motion sickness. With digital cameras that is starting to look like a possibility. If anyone is interested in this subject I would suggest getting last months issue of American Cinematographer and read the article on the camera developed for James Camerons documentry on the Titanic.

Comment

• Aeromos
                  • Jun 2003

Burke,

I've been shown a remote that I believe comes in 3 or more different colours. The great thing about this remote is that you can plug it through the computer to access their site and just download controls for a particular brand of component and voila, you're all set up. It also has a convenient dial button on the side seen on cell phones to scroll through different commands for a particular component you're controlling at the moment.

Aeromos
                  Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                  My Collection
                  Aeromos
                  My Collection

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Is that the Harmony remote? http://www.harmonyremote.com/

It's a good idea but it's far too basic, IMO. It's also extremely expensive for such a basic remote. Don't get me wrong, it can do a lot but it doesn't have the customization of a Pronto or MX700 -despite costing ~ the same $.

No one will go with me on this but I think the next biggie (besides a few great thoughts already covered) will be either a pre/pro or receiver which includes media center-like features (streaming audio/video and/or built in HD maybe even built-in 802.11) or an accepted line of media center-like devices by established audio companies.

There are lots of options out there by obscure companies but nothing just yet by established brands. It's coming.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Aeromos
                      • Jun 2003

Siligoose,

I actually agree with you to a certain extent here. Two of the receivers I'm possibly thinking of upgrading to has a step towards this. One being the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX which has a USB connection, allowing you to stream mp3's. The other being an Onkyo or Integra (not sure which one or model #) that has an ethernet connection, which allows you to stream mp3's and also stream internet radio stations.

Aeromos
                      My Collection
                      Aeromos
                      My Collection

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

I didn't know Onkyo and Pioneer had made ethernet/USB options. Very cool. I assume they only treat the data input as another audio input? Or is there a whole menu system to manage tracks being streamed? In other words, is it a passive streaming system or is the receiver more actively involved?

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I try to hold to a principle I read somewhere when considering upgrades: Upgrade only when there has been a quantum leap in technology over what you have. The point being this: The more and more you get into the A/V sickness... er... hobby, the more you're going to buy higher-end stuff that costs more and more money. If you currently have a $1,000 DVD player that is 1-2 years old, and a little obsolete, does it make sense to spend $1,200 on a brand new player just released that only adds one item, for example a DVI port? For those with beaucoup $$$, the answer might be yes. For working guys, it's probably no. The new player will be at least a little obsolete itself in a couple years. But if you're patient, you can end up spending the same amount of money you would have spent, and instead of spending all your money on just one item like a DVI port, now your money is buying you all sorts of upgrades far and above your old technology, perhaps now HD-DVD and such.

For me, I currently have a Yamaha RX-V2095 5.1 receiver that is about 4 years old. When I bought it, it was one of the better units on the market for $1,000-$2,000. About a year or so ago, Yamaha released a new flagship receiver, the Z1, for about $3K with some new stuff like 7.1 capability, and I wanted it. However, thankfully my pursuits didn't turn out. It was still in the same region of performance of what I already had, only with a few extra features. But since I didn't buy it, and I saved my money, now I'm in the market to buy separates for the first time in my life, entering into a whole new market of high-end audio and taking my system to an entirely different level for little more than I would have spent on the new Yamaha a little while ago. Now I'm going to get a quantum jump in technology and performance.

Sorry for babblig. Getting back to the original question, other than me just upgrading to existing technologies already on the market to enter high-end audio and video, new technologies that I'll be looking for with future upgrades will be (1) HD-DVD, and (2) 1080p displays. I think we're only a few years away from the point where video displays of all types will be readily available in 1080p. For me specifically, I'm going to be looking for a front projector with 1080p native resolution, CRT-quality black levels, 2000-3000:1 contrast ratio and comparable light output, onboard scaler, and DVI input/switching, for under $3,000. We're still several years away, I think.

CHRIS
                          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• clm811
                            • Nov 2002

I don't know about everyone else here, but I just made what I thought was the "next big thing" upgrade! I bought an integrated widescreen HDTV with internal line doubler for video plus a Universal DVD/SACD player with 12bit, 108mHz progressive-scan video and a separate high quality multi-ch power amp to drive with my receiver's pre-out jacks. This, coupled with the extra two 12" subwoofers that replaced my L&R channel speaker stands, leaves me asking: how much better can it get? (Or maybe I'm afraid to ask...) -cm
                            Charles Moore

Comment

• Aeromos
                              • Jun 2003

Sili,

I believe the Pioneer USB connection can only be treated as an input. Also if I'm correct the Elite VSX-45TX is the only model that has it. So you still pretty much have to use either an MP3 player of your computer to feed music.

On the other hand the Onkyo and it's higher end sister company Integra takes a more active role. It has an ethernet connection so you can hook it up to a hub. They use something called NET TUNE which allows you to access internet radio stations. The receiver will scan available stations on the web as long as you have a broadband connection. Also I believe you can readily acccess your music from your computer without them playing at the same time on your computer.

Aeromos
                              My Collection
                              Aeromos
                              My Collection

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"