X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Installing video in a bathroom

I've been wanting to install a small television in the master bathroom that could be viewed from the tub or while someone is getting ready at the sink. I just bought a small 13" LCD flatscreen TV from Sharp to accomplish this, but don't want to rush into anything stupid before I install it. I'm concerned about the TV in a humid environment. My thoughts:

1. I could build the screen into the wall or a soffit, protecting it from humidity and water splash to the max extent possible.

2. The more distance I can get from a sink or tub, the better for actual water splash contact.

3. How about moisture from humidity, though? Even with leaving the door open and running the exhaust fan while taking a shower (and not watching TV, obviously) is humidity just going to be too much?

What do you guys think? If I accept an increased wear on the TV due to the location, is this do-able? Or is the whole idea just too much?

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

You might want to check with the manufacturer and ask them directly if use of the device in a high humidity environment is safe, from both an electrical and a device longevity standpoint, and if it would affect the warranty in any way.

1) having it protected in a moisture-proof enclosure may keep it dry, but another layer of glass or plastic will degrade the expensive video image especially if it mists over.

2) If you do end up putting it in the bathroom, of course, you will want to make sure it won't fall in the tub or get splashed from the sink.

3) Opening the door significantly reduces the "fog level" but it is effective only if everyone who ever uses the bathroom leaves the door open. If a guest takes a shower with the door closed, there goes your "moisture control".

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"