X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newguy987
    • Nov 2008

New surround modes

Dolby and Dts have announced their new surround modes. They are Dolby PrologicIIz (9.1), and Dts Neo X (11.1). Which once again means to benefit from these modes (when ever they become available), one must again upgrade either the receiver, or processor, and more speakers, arrgh!! I myself am getting sick and tired of tech changing as quickly as it is, especially when one is spending significant $$$ on gear. I can see more and more people buying cheaper gear as a result to save money, the other option would be to stick with what one has. It will be interesting to hear what others plan to do. I don't even have Hdmi, so i'm already behind, and for me to make the switch to blueray, I would need either a new reciever with hdmi (audio), and a blue ray player, or a very good blue ray player with analogue outs, and keep my Arcam (avr300), then I would also need a front projector that supports 1080p. Add this up and the real question is, is this upgrade even worth it? Now you throw into the mix two new surround modes.......Eventually these changes are going to discourage people from upgrading, only the rich, and those that "gotta have it" will keep dropping too much $$$ for something that looks like it won't last long, till the new stuff comes........What are you opinions?
  • KyaDawn
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by newguy987
    Dolby and Dts have announced their new surround modes. They are Dolby PrologicIIz (9.1), and Dts Neo X (11.1). Which once again means to benefit from these modes (when ever they become available), one must again upgrade either the receiver, or processor, and more speakers, arrgh!! I myself am getting sick and tired of tech changing as quickly as it is, especially when one is spending significant $$$ on gear. I can see more and more people buying cheaper gear as a result to save money, the other option would be to stick with what one has. It will be interesting to hear what others plan to do. I don't even have Hdmi, so i'm already behind, and for me to make the switch to blueray, I would need either a new reciever with hdmi (audio), and a blue ray player, or a very good blue ray player with analogue outs, and keep my Arcam (avr300), then I would also need a front projector that supports 1080p. Add this up and the real question is, is this upgrade even worth it? Now you throw into the mix two new surround modes.......Eventually these changes are going to discourage people from upgrading, only the rich, and those that "gotta have it" will keep dropping too much $$$ for something that looks like it won't last long, till the new stuff comes........What are you opinions?
    It doesn't bother me as due to room size restrictions, I haven't even make the jump from 5.1 to 7.1 yet, and I likely won't be able to unless I move, which won't happen for at least a few years. But I think it's great for people who have the space and have the cash to again improve their system.

All I'm thinking about this 9.1 and its two front "height" channels is pity for those HT owners that demand the EXACT same speaker for all the channels. I can just imagine "poor" Steve Ballmer having to suspend a pair of Nautilus from his ceiling! :B

Comment

• wgriel
      • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
      I can just imagine "poor" Steve Ballmer having to suspend a pair of Nautilus from his ceiling! :B
      Totally off topic, but I thought the rumor was that Steve Jobs owned the Nautilus. Ballmer just strikes me more as a Cerwin Vega kind of guy :rofl:

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by KyaDawn
        It doesn't bother me as due to room size restrictions, I haven't even make the jump from 5.1 to 7.1 yet, and I likely won't be able to unless I move, which won't happen for at least a few years. But I think it's great for people who have the space and have the cash to again improve their system.

All I'm thinking about this 9.1 and its two front "height" channels is pity for those HT owners that demand the EXACT same speaker for all the channels. I can just imagine "poor" Steve Ballmer having to suspend a pair of Nautilus from his ceiling! :B
        LOL.

I have no issue either. I actually just upgraded my receiver and HT.

I have "9.2" setup, however the front "presense" speakers dont work when you are in 7.1, only in a 5.1 setup. Its a welcomed change to the very common 5.1. So really its just different ways of 7 channel setup with 9 speakers.

The 7.1 BD media is amazing, even in my small room (13x16x8 IIRC)

I was originally pretty bummed when I found I couldnt have the presence speakers working when in 7.1, however it made total sense and dont know why I didnt think of it first, its only a 7 channel amp.
        So I am ready, just would need to get a new reciever.
        B&W

Comment

• artv4
          • Jun 2007

i talked to both companies at ces and was told that they are merely concepts. nothing really set in stone. both sounded fine, but not great. i would not worry about upgrading at the moment. take advantage of the new hd formats!!!!
          GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• speakerboy
            • Nov 2005

Just because a processor can do 9.1 or 11.1 doesn't you HAVE to get that many channels. My processor can do 9.1 but I'm staying with 7.1 due to room size. Companies are trying to make their processors appeal to everyone and yet remain flexible and allow you to keep your investment. If I move into a house with a larger home theater, I may consider 9.1 with that same unit. Likewise, if I decide to move into a house with a smaller room, I can choose 5.1.

The rich help pay for the costs of initial development. These "new" features eventually end up in a manufacturer's lower-end units a few years later. I had a Pioneer Elite flagship receiver 5 years ago that supported 7.1 but everything else at the time was 5.1 and now everything is 7.1. Where plasma TVs used to go for $10,000+ a few years ago, you can get them now for just over $1000. An upgrade is only worthwhile with what you're willing to spend, how long you're willing to wait for prices to drop, and how long you're willing to keep your "investment".

You don't NEED TO HAVE a blu-ray player or NEED TO HAVE a projector. HDMI is nice but not necessary...you can still use component or even composite (gasp). All TVs made today support 1080p. You can stay with VHS if you'd like or your current analog TV. But technology always evolves and always gets better, which is a good thing...so maybe it's time for me to upgrade my 386 PC, Windows 3.1, tape deck, and analog brick phone now. And I had an even harder time upgrading from a typewriter, 8-track tapes, and a corded phone.

Comment

• KyaDawn
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by wgriel
              Totally off topic, but I thought the rumor was that Steve Jobs owned the Nautilus. Ballmer just strikes me more as a Cerwin Vega kind of guy :rofl:
              If the world had justice, Ballmer would be owning white van speakers! :B

I read the rumor here on this forum, actually, I believe Steve Jobs has Wilsons. ops:

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Why do you think you need these formats? There will always be more new stuff coming down the pike but not all of it is for everyone. For example, I have no plans for more than 5.1 in either of my systems and do not have any use for even the earlier versions of Dolby Prologic or Dts Neo! And, yes, I heard both demos at CES.

So decide what you need/want. If it requires you to buy new equipment, it is your decision. Don't blame it on the industry. That's like pissing in the wind.

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I love Vegas
                  B&W

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

What got me was how DTS demoed their new surround sound from headphones mode (underwhelmed) and then tried to tell us we need 11.1 (way underwhelmed). I actually love Pro-logic IIx, but never have enjoyed DTS Neo.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Isaac
                      • Jan 2006

I enjoy HT but it way too complicated right now, thats why I am a stereo (2-channel) guy. I have 2 systems, HT in the den and a stereo in my own room. To me PLII and DTS neo are nice but, since music is mostly recorded in stereo playing it back in stereo sounds the best. :T Movies on the otherhand...All the new HD audio formats offered on Bluray are crazy good but, I will wait untill the formats and connection issues calm down, then I will consider upgrading my processor in my HT room, 1080p with plain old 5.1 DD and DTS will have to do for now.

Seems like now days you think you got a great deal on some AV equipment untill the next week. Can it do 1080P/24p? Does your bluray player or reciever decode Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus and DTS-HD™? PCM, DD or DTS? Does your reciever have HDMI 1.3? 120hz LCD or 240hz Plasma? Its all going to be OK, give it some time and enjoy the system you have right now.
                      Last edited by Isaac; 17 January 2009, 04:31 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"