X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gil
    • Dec 2000

Bipole/dipole or Direct radiators as sides for Lexicon

Which is better in a 7.1 setup using a Lexicon processor? I notice that a few recommend near full range towers or side subs. I can't squeeze in towers on the sides, so it needs to be wall or shelf mounted. I am thinking the bipole operation on a switchable bipole/dipole might better cover a couple of rows of seating.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Gil, the Def Tech BP1X served me pretty well for a while. I think they are just di-pole, but may be switchable. Actually, I think I liked di-pole sides a bit better than direct radiating. However, I do love the seamless sound of 7 Sonus fabers of course.

I use the b-poles in the bedroom as rears. Not that I use that system much. Usually if I am in there, I am well, sleeping, lol.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob Santos
      • Mar 2001

Gil,
      I just replaced a set of Def Tech Pro monitor 100's with a set of Def Tech BPX's. The monitors were direct radiating, ,and the BPX's are bipolar. I fount that with the directs I was always aware of the speaker. With the new speakers the rear is so much smoother. I dont find myself aware of the speakers, just the sound.
      Dont know if thats a good explaination or not, but basically before I could pinpoint exactly where the sound was coming from, now my attension isnt drawn to the speaker.
      I definately prefer the bipolars by far.

I am also using lexicon. I have it set up 5.1 right now. I have the rear speakers, but havent installed them yet. Hopefully I can find the time today. I have bipolars for my rear surrounds also. I have read that direct radiating speakers are recommended in the rears. We'll see how it works out.
      My rear speakers will be in a much less than optimal position. My room isnt great for a 7.1 setup, but I feel it's worth a try. I will be installing a set of Definitive bipolar inwall speakers in the ceiling.
      Should be interesting.

Comment

• MRWILLL
        • Aug 2000

In my 7.1 rig I use direct spks. My side spk sit about 4 feet to my sides, while my rear spks are 7 feet back. My (rear) blending process is so good, that I cannot tell where the sound is coming from. Rear surr at it's best.

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
        DVD...Hear it from the people who
        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
        STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
        DVD...Hear it from the people who
        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• marc seals
          • Sep 2000

I use bipolars (Boston Acoustics VRMX) for the sides and currently direct ( B&W DM602's) for rears.

I previously used the B&W's for sides but switched after demoing the bipolars.

I completely agree with Bob Santos in that it is more seemless with the bipolars. I also demoed some dipoles but didn't care for them as much, though that could be partially due to my room which is not the best for the way diploes are supposed to be set up.

I am fixing to demo another pair of the Boston bipolars for rear so I may just have some extra B&W's ...........

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

Didn't surround dipoles die with DPL? If not, they have got to be rare.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"