X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRAIL
    • Aug 2004

how can i build my own bipole/dipole surround speakers

i want to build my own bipole or dipole speakers, but was wondering if i needed any special crossover?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why are you interested in bi/dipole rears?

Those used to be recommended in the days of Dolby Prologic processing, but certainly have fallen out of favor with the advent of discrete rear channels. If rear channel placement is sub optimal then bi/dipole can be considered.

What are your mains?

Things need to have similar sonic signatures.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TRAIL
      • Aug 2004

just some Dual bookshelf speakers, but i want some Infinity's.

but my vsx-45tx has auto setup, so everything is in tune. sounds great

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

so everything is in tune. sounds great
        You misunderstand, 'sonic signature' means that the speaker are 'matched' so that they have the same sonic colorations, that's different from having the same output levels.

Different drivers have different characteristic sounds (colorations). Metal dome tweeters, sound different from soft dome tweeters. Polycone drivers sound different from paper woofers, etc.

To have the same 'sonic signature', the drivers should be made from similar materials.

Designing a speaker from scratch is a pretty complicated process. One doesn't just randomly pick and choose from a group of drivers and slap them into a cabinet with a generic crossover (so it's completely different from assembling car stereo.)

Have you ever built any speakers? Do you have test equipment and design software? If not, you're much better off getting a kit.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

The auto setup on that Pioneer includes a graphic EQ along with test tones and a mic. While not perfect, it's a pretty nifty feature to help match the tone of the fronts and rears. It's done in the digital domain, before the DACs, so there isn't a big hit on sound quality as long as you're using a digital source.

All that aside, I agree with Thomas. Dipole surrounds are old news. You should try to pick surround speakers similar to the mains. If you're getting new mains, you can move your current ones to the rear, run the auto EQ, and you'll be all set.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm not sure I agree that di/bipole speakers aren't usefully anymore...with 5.1 yes it could be argued that all direct would be better but if you have 6.1 or 7.1 where the side speakers are directly to the sides of the listeners I favour a more difuse sounding speaker. It may not be ideal for multichannel music but it works best for my narrow room (12 feet wide). As such I've been thinking about trying to build a pair of dipole mini M8a's for side duty to replace my Energy RVSS's currently doing side duty. I might have to drop to the 6" woofs to keep the size down though.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I've yet to hear EQ that could make a soft dome sound like a metal dome..... :wink:

Andrew,

That's what I meant when I ask about his installation.

When one has a optimal room and placement isn't a problem then monopole effects are the 'best' choice. But if speaker placement or the room layout itself are compromised then bi/dipole are an option to consider.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

agreed:T

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"