X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Magnepan's in a 7.1 config

As many of you know I'm in the process of building a dedicate media room in my basement that will be 23 feet long by 12 feet wide and 7 feet tall. I currently have two pairs of SMG's that will become rears and sides, a single MMG that acts as my centre and my 1.4's which I'll use as mains. Now my room is a little small for 7 maggies but being dedicated I can pretty much do what I want The problem lies though in the placement of the side speakers. Given my room is fairly narrow I'm thinking of mounting one pair of SMG's horizontally between the first and second row of seating. The issue though is that I can't mount them to far out from the wall beacuse it will interfer with the isle on either side of the room. I am thinking about mounting them up near the ceiling and angleing them down towards the listening position. Given the low ceiling they won't be up all that high but being dipoles I'm concerned about the rear wave interfering with the mylar. I have lots of Permacote instulation left over that I can use to deaden the wall behind the speakers which should help a bit...I was also thinking that I could probably cut down the MDF that surrounds the SMG since its a lot wider then what they now use for the MMG. From what I understand the wider the MDF fringe the more focused the sound will be? Since these will be sides that lack of focus shouldn't pose a problem at all in fact it might be adventagous. Thoughts?

Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"