Is there a cost-no-object thin, corner mounted speaker design?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nk215
    • Aug 2010

Is there a cost-no-object thin, corner mounted speaker design?

I am looking for a speaker design that can be mounted on the front wall but right at the corner. The max width is about 24” (side wall to screen gap). The speaker should be around 6.5” thin and can be as tall as 6-8 feet or so. It can be a floor standing design as long as it can be pushed all the way to the corner w/o any significant penalty.

If the Khanspire cross over could be modified to allow corner mount config and wider baffle width (to make up for the reduced depth) that would be ideal. But then, it won’t be a Khanspire would it?

Thank you
  • ruseriousclark
    • Feb 2007

Some Line Array designs out there that would be within your "thin" requirement but I don't know anything that won't be affected by the placement you suggest without wall treatment being required.
    <-- Beware of Fluffy...He is the destroyer of Worlds!

Comment

• 5th element
      Supreme Being Moderator
      • Sep 2009

The trouble with corner designs is the boundary reinforcement of the frequencies below where baffle step usually starts.

You can get designs that typically work well when placed on a wall, as the wall acts to directly compensate for the baffle step loss. The trouble is with the second wall, this adds in another lot of reinforcement and creates a bass/lower mid heavy balance.

This works well with subs, placing them in a corner gets reinforcement from the floor and the two adjacent walls. With a sub all of its frequency range is affected so it isn't a problem.

But with a full range loudspeaker?

There are some horn designs that are designed specifically to use corner loading to compensate for the tilted response and the baffle step loss. But the ones that I've seen tend to be big and expensive/difficult to build. Although I don't really look for these types of designs either, so there might be something out there that's perfect for you.

The simplest option might be to take any design you like the look of and apply an active filter that does the reverse of a baffle step correction circuit. This way you can boost the highs/cut the lows till you get a pleasing tonal balance.
      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

I suspect you won't see many cost-no-object designs to meet these goals because so few people would find themselves using such a design.

The Klipschorn is possibly one of the only designs that is specifically going to work well like this that I know of. Except for its size, ...

But, if cost is truly no object, there should be a way to get a custom design put together. You can always fly someone into town to do measurements and whatnot...

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jonasz
          • Nov 2004

Maybe these could be something to look at and be inspired by? All drivers are top notch Seas and Scan-Speak. I don't think the crossover is set in stone yet but he's getting there... :B

Huge thread (in swedish) here: http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21273&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2736.webp
Views:	22
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	943969

Name:	IMG_2752.webp
Views:	20
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	943970

Name:	IMG_2726.webp
Views:	19
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	943971
          Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:56 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Curt C
            • Feb 2005

John Murphy's MCLA looks to fill your requirements, -Other then they may not cost enough... They are designed for corner placement.
            Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software and Loudspeaker Design Software. Purchase TrueRTA, WinSpeakerz and Introduction to Loudspeaker Design.

I've not heard them, but I did use the ND140's, the bigger brother of the driver John chose in my AviaTrix design, and was as enamored with them as John apparently was with the ND90's he chose...

C
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• rvsixer
              • Sep 2008

Designed for corner placement:

Name:	TLAH.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	943972

Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:58 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location and link

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"