X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinox67
    • Nov 2001

Hi-Fi to HT upgrade

Hi all.

I'm planning to update gradually my old Hi-Fi equipment with a HT system. First, I should to replace my (broken) Hi-Fi amplifier with an
    A/V receiver of high quality. After (in a year) I'm going to buy the additional loudspeakers and a DVD universal player (audio/video).

I would like to buy an A/V receiver opens to the new incoming audio formats, as DVD-A/SACD, but it seems that the current A/V receivers are not get ready for these high quality signals type.

I'm new to HT systems/formats/standards, but
    I think that there is missing an interface between DVD-A players and AV receivers able to carry all the "nuaces" of a signal at 96Khz/24bit.
    The current analog interface (6/8ch.) doesn't meet these requirements.

Is this correct?
    Have we to wait long time such interface?
    Considering that I would like a HT system more music-oriented than movie-oriented, which is the purchase convenient for the moment?

Regards,

Pino
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

For both DVD-A and SACD there is not standardized or available digitial interface; some companies use proprietary connections with their high end equipment, but this isn't applicable to A/V receivers.

What you should look for is a reciever which has a true analog bypass multichannel input. That is, it should not digitally encode the signal, and it should allow a 5.1 or higher input from the player. At this time, this is the only way to get a full range signal from the player without corrupting it by a further analog to PCM to analog conversion.

This feature is available in some separates; for example, Sony has an analog preamp which is a companion to their DD/DTS controller, wtih two such sets of analog inputs, and a complete bypass mode. But to date I haven't seen this on a reciever, but then, I have't been looking, either, as I run SACD in two channel mode only at this time. Even multi-channel SACD has a dedicated two channel mix.

Good luck in your research, perhaps some other members more knowledgeable about receivers can help more.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Kotches
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Supposedly (I haven't seen it myself), Sony's latest ES receivers are sporting dual multi-channel inputs.

Regards,

---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
      My Home Theater
      NEC LT-150 specific page.
      ---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
      My Home Theater
      NEC LT-150 specific page.

Comment

• Pinox67
        • Nov 2001

Maybe the answer to my question can be found at:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/shownews.cgi?1106

Bye,

Pino

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Pino, I think that's a long, long, very long time off, as in at least 2 years,if it happens then. You have a lot of resistance to standards by some. If you want a receiver in the meantime, your best suggestion is the 5.1 inputs that Jon suggested already-

Welcome to the forum too!

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chip
            • Aug 2001

Here's the back of the new Sony DA-3ES receiver (the DA-5ES didn't have back pic's)

It sports dual 5.1 inputs..

ps. Why can't i simply copy & paste a link? What do i need to do Andrew? (i know you told me once already

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
            Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Chip, to post a url you need to add [* url]the link in here[/url *] just take out the * in each square braket. So your link should look like this:

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Chip, I fixed your link, now you can edit your own message and take a look at the syntax of what you are supposed to do for the link.

Goodluck with the addition of HT Pinox. Just don't forget your roots, lol.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"