X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

New Kenwood Gear!

I've always been a fan of Kenwood's "higher-end" gear. They just updated their website to show their new line, www.kenwoodusa.com. Some nice stuff, the sovereign line is pretty kewl! I'm really interested in their new dvd player, dv-5700, it has the new Fourdja (how the heck to you spell that?) chip in it...supposed to rock! Thought I'd share!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Is that website designed for a 12" monitor or what?!?

I'll be a bit more cautious with Kenwood. They've always provided a lot of features for the buck but IMO they just don't perform that well.

I had hope for their Soverign line. Maybe it'll break the mold. And yes, that DVD player sounds very impressive.

What do you think of the look of their new gear? It's a bit on the ugly side, isn't it? They look like overweight components.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

Yea, their mid-fi stuff is pretty much just that, but the higher end stuff has done me ok over the years...I'm moving to seperates (thank heavens) but still a part of me will always be a fan...kinda like an old sweetheart!

Cosmetically, they're ok...I personally like last years model, the one I have, VR-4900 better:

But it's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. But I also have the matching DVD-Audio/Video player and my Musical Fidelty A3cr amp matches nicely as well.

I'm looking seriously into that 400 disk player though....

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I think they'll have a very hard time breaking away from people's stereotypes of the Kenwood name. Even Pioneer Elite and Sony ES have the same problems IMO with the regular line bringing down the big bothers name.

I'm also not to fond of Kenwood's look but thats just me

Comment

• GregoriusM
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2000

Well, Kenwood has a great name in Car Audio. And I've heard that the upper end of their Main audio line is reasonable.

As was said above, I too am hoping that the new Sovereign line will be as good as Sony ES and Pioneer Elite are in comparison to their lower level line. It seems that Kenwood has decided to get back the respect they had 20 years ago in audio. And they seem to be quite aggressive about it.

I would say my eye is on the DV-5900M (400 Disk Mega Changer with all the bells and whistles and price to match), but I'd be lieing!! Because I have BOTH eyes on it!!!

Looking forward to a review by someone on one of these forums (hopefully this one) on that puppy when someone gets it!
          Gregor

Comment

• GregoriusM
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2000

Well, Kenwood has a great name in Car Audio. And I've heard that the upper end of their Main audio line is reasonable.

As was said above, I too am hoping that the new Sovereign line will be as good as Sony ES and Pioneer Elite are in comparison to their lower level line. It seems that Kenwood has decided to get back the respect they had 20 years ago in audio. And they seem to be quite aggressive about it.

I would say my eye is on the DV-5900M (400 Disk Mega Changer with all the bells and whistles and price to match), but I'd be lieing!! Because I have BOTH eyes on it!!!

Looking forward to a review by someone on one of these forums (hopefully this one) on that puppy when someone gets it!
            Gregor

Comment

• GregoriusM
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2000

Oh yes, two more things.

It is spelled Faroudja.

And, the DV-5900M is "nice old plain black", to match the rest of my "nice old plain black" equipment!
              Gregor

Comment

• DavidY
                • Aug 2000

For the most part, Kenwood brands seems pretty well entry level. Their receivers don't usually measure very well in Sound and Vision's testing....typically way below their specs, especially their power ratings for five channels. As a result, I tend to put Kenwood on the same entry level brands as the Sony DE series, Technics, JVC and Pioneer regular series. Just my opinion.

Dave

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I like the idea that someone has enough guts, to think "outside the box" in design. Times are changing and the audio world will evolve with it.

As far as Kenwood sound and quality, I'm sure that someone was smart enough in R&D to know that it needs to exceed the entry equipment. It wouldn't make much sense to introduce a "higher end series" that doesn't surpass that standard line of product.

I hope that this new line does well. It may get some others to atleast look at enhancing cosmetics. The black boxes have dominated forever and though black blends with everything, not everyone wants one in their room.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"