X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

CNET article about recievers

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Have to agree on one thing. Receivers today, like those from Rotel, suffer from feature creep, which drive up the cost but don't improve audio quality.

I have the 1069, but lately the only inputs I've been using are HDMI, and since my bluray player and my PC can decode just about every audio format out there and output PCM sound and 1080p video, I don't need most of the features it has, and none of the ones from the 15 series.

I think if Rotel made a receiver with only HDMI, USB and WiFi connectivity, PCM, mp3, aac and flac audio only, and no video processing, they could make a cheaper receiver with a big potential.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Moved to the home theater forum as it applies to all makes. In my opinion, you've contradicted yourself as much as the author did. Your statements and the author's are the same:

"If they made a receiver with only the features I use, it would be a lot cheaper and sell a lot."

One of the biggest complaints of the 15 series is that it doesn't have a lot of the features other receivers have.

Kevin D.

Comment

• hurin
      • Sep 2009

Rotel are far from the biggest offenders. But features like audio decoding of DD, DTS and HD sound, video upscaling and component video are really not necessary anymore. But features that really would be good idea such as WiFi direct and a remote control app for smartphones are missing.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I actually disagree with many of the comments in this article. All modern electronics from computers to smartphones, to amps and receivers are offering more and more features. This is NOT a bad thing. One thing that has happened with modern receivers is that they are NOT plug and play devices anymore. The manuals are large because it is important to understand the unit, adjust it properly, and maximize it's features and what it can do. This of course flys in the face of 95% of mom and pops out there because they don't read the manuals and are baffled by all the inputs and features. I have helped many people set up their systems for this reason. Now as for the size??. A good, high current amp with 5 channels of discrete amplification requires it to be big. Sorry about that!. It's the nature of the beast. Remotes are the same. They are big with many buttons because the unit is complex and capable of many features and adjustments.

To give you an example, I went to a friends house the other day because they told me the left and right speakers were not working. It turns out the speaker wires were connected to both negative terminals on the back of the amp instead of the positive and negative ones!!. Sheesh!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"