X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsluk
    • Dec 2007

3.1 starter HT system

Hi all,

I new into HT stuff. I would like to put a new system in my finished basement but only have room for flat screen and speakers on one wall. I do not wish to run wires across the room for the back and side speaker.

Will today's receiver process HD data from 5.1 or 7.1 down to 3.1 ? Is this ever done by sending the surround channels to the front left and center channels. Has anyone done that or is this really silly ? Thanks.
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

As far as 3.1 goes, you would just be losing the the rear channels...most of the content will be coming through the front 3 channels....

You could take a look at a soundbar....it's one speaker that processes 5 channels into one(not sure if they have 7-channel soundbars yet). It would probably work nicely for you. I have never used them, but they do seem to be convenient for wall-mounted flat panels...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Or.... you could just connect 3 front speakers and a sub to any receiver and just ignore the rear channel connections. I would still set up the receiver as if they were there however (ie,,,do not tell the receiver in the setup that you do not have them). Surround speakers in movies are simply 'effects' channels. The most important thing is that you have a good center channel speaker. Running a Dolby Digital/ DTS system without one is going to be a problem.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"