X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WaterMark
    • Sep 2009

confused on bass management

I will be purchasing a new HT receiver soon.
    I think I would like to set my reciever to re-direct the bass from the center and surround channels to my mains which are truly full range, but still direct the .1 lfe channel to a dedicated sub.

Is this possible?
    Is there some reason not to do this?
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Yes, you simply set the surrounds and center to "Small" (or whatever the comparable description is) on your processor/receiver.
    Danish

Comment

• WaterMark
      • Sep 2009

I don't think it's that easy. Re-read my original question. My current receiver and most that I know of would send all the low freq info to the sub.
      I am trying to send dedicated lfe to sub and filtered bass from the smalls to my fronts.

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Sorry, I see that you said redirect to your mains...

I don't know of a way to do what you ask. You could say that you don't have a sub at all and then give the sub another input (crossed-over), but that would be more than just the LFE channel.

Hopefully someone has an idea. Why do you want to do this? I don't quite see any advantage...
        Danish

Comment

• theblue
          • Dec 2009

why would you want to do this? it doesn't sound logical. If the person who mastered the surround tracks wanted the sound to come from the front, they'd program it to come from the front. Deciding you want to force some low frequency bass from the back of the room to be mixed with a possibly different low frequency bass already at the front it just asking for distortion, time alignment issues, a poor image, and who knows what else.

if you really wanted to do this, you would need a mixing board. You would take the pre-outs from the receiver for the rears and front and mix the low freq. from the rear channels with the full range from the fronts, then send that to an amp and on to your front speakers.
          Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
          rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
          B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
          a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• WaterMark
            • Sep 2009

My real goal was to spread the filtered bass from the center channel to the fronts.
            But direct the dedicated lfe to a dedicated sub off in the corner of the room.
            The rear channels were not a concern.

Comment

• theblue
              • Dec 2009

if it's a low freq. you want it to come from the sub, if it's above the cut off (that you define) it's considered directional so you need it to come from the center. It sounds like you really just need a better / bigger center.
              Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
              rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
              B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
              a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• WaterMark
                • Sep 2009

Tough to find space for a big center. I actually built my own because of the space constraint- had to be no more than 10" tall so I was limited to a 5" woofer plus tweet. Used good drivers- Scanspeak but still need to limit lower frq to 90hz. Did not want the horizontal MTM.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

All Rotel units in the 10/15 series will redirect bass in small speakers to the fronts if they are set to large. The sub output has three selections, NO, YES, MAX. With large fronts, setting the sub output to YES will only send the LFE to the sub output. Setting it to MAX will send the LFE, plus a copy of the bass from all speakers (even those set to large).

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"