X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoDestiny
    • Jan 2009

Amp for 2 18" Fi IB's?

Hey gang,

Looks like I might have found a excuse... errr... good reason... to upgrade my thump a little. Currently, got a single Dayton MKIII in (I think) 3.5 cubes tuned 20Hz w/ a 240w Dayton plate amp. Does more than enough for me, but my mom is going to need a sub soon and instead of spending money on something new for her, might as well give her the hand-me-downs this time around

I was looking around at some of the ideas on amps for them... obviously ~500 each would do plenty well.

I don't see too many looking into this amp...

Is it the price or another reason why?

Thanx gang!
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

The PE website appears to be down as I'm writing this, so I dont know specifically what you're considering. However, I run a pair of Fi 18" drivers in an IB configuration from an EP1500. I find this arrangement to be able to shake my house quite adequately. If you wanted a little future up-gradability, then choose the EP2500.

Comment

• NoDestiny
      • Jan 2009

I have a hard time putting money into anything Berhinger anymore, after being burned by them twice now (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... hows the third time go? ). I realize a lot of people use them, but still makes me a little weary of their products.

The link I posted was to the Dayton SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier, which actually happens to be $350 as of posting this today.

I'll just copy over the specs...
      Rated Power Output (0.92% THD): 497 watts into 8 ohms, 950 watts into 4 ohms • Signal to Noise Ratio: 98 dB A-weighted • Efficiency: 86% • Input Impedance: 12K ohms • Subsonic Filter: -3 dB @ 18 Hz, Q=0.8 • Bass Boost: +3 dB @ 25 Hz, Q=1.4 • High Pass Output: -3 dB @ 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave • Low Pass Adjustment: 30-200 Hz • Phase Adjustment: 0°–180° • Parametric EQ Frequency: 18–80 Hz • Bandwidth: 0.1–1.0 Q • Level: -14.5 dB to +6 dB • Dimensions: 17-1/2" W x 4" H x 13" D (tabletop configuration) • Power Requirements: 120/230 VAC, 50/60 Hz • Stand-by Power Rating: 120V 24W; 230V 18.4W • Weight: 20 lbs. *Based on one-third power duty cycle

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I've been extremely please with my Crown XTI2000. Plenty of setup options if you get the Band Manager software. The low frequency harmony synth does really well on 80's night.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

The specs for the EP1500 show 260W per channel at 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, so I guess the Dayton is either similar or twice the power depending on how the numbers are quoted...

Comment

• technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Martyn
            The specs for the EP1500 show 260W per channel at 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, so I guess the Dayton is either similar or twice the power depending on how the numbers are quoted...
            The Dayton is a single channel (1000w at 4ohms, I believe), so either the subs would have to be wired appropriately or you'd need two amps. They're nice in that they have some built-in EQ capabilities, however $700 is still more expensive than a Feedback Destroyer and EP2500, EP1500, or their newer versions of these.

It's understandable how you feel about the brand, I've been burned by so-called good brands before and refuse to go back to them as well. I never had an issue with Behringer...very affordable on eBay.

Otherwise, I think Crown would offer a two channel amp that would still be more affordable than a pair of Daytons.
            - Danny

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

The Dayton amp put out about 1/2 its rated power according to some tests over on another forum. Whereas, the Behringer EP2500 performed fairly well in regard to power delivery, amongst other things.
              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• NoDestiny
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by whoaru99
                The Dayton amp put out about 1/2 its rated power according to some tests over on another forum. Whereas, the Behringer EP2500 performed fairly well in regard to power delivery, amongst other things.
                Interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that? (or know which forum?)

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"