X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kid320
    • Oct 2005

"invisible" component install for living room

Hey everyone!

I love to stop in here from time to time in order to bounce some ideas off of you guys, and I've been happy with all of the decisions I've made so far with your input. So, with that, here is another thing I need some advice/tips on...

I have recently purchased my first home and have an idea of how I want the living room set up. I currently own a 50" plasma that I plan on mounting to the back wall of my living room. On the other side of that wall is an office that is approximately 7.5'x 10'. I plan on putting all of my equipment in that room (and also using it as a computer room/office for myself). My equipment consists of a receiver, cable box/dvr, dvd player and VCR. I want to get a universal remote that will work without like of sight (I am looking at the Harmony 890, as I am on a pretty strict budget and can pick that up for $170). I will put all of my equipment in that room and have a small channel in the wall that I can open up and get wires between the office and living room. What I want to be left with is a cleanly installed Plasma TV, speakers and a remote control on the coffee table. Nothing else will be visible from the living room.

I think I have that part of it pretty well figured out (although any suggestions or advice from experience would be greatly appreciated). I am fine walking into the next room to load a DVD into the DVD player or whatever. Where my train of thought runs into a wall is when I consider that I will also want to have a couple of game systems hooked up to this TV. Not only the newer Nintendo Wii and Playstation 3, but I will also want to play a couple of retro systems, such as the NES and Sega with *gasp* corded controllers. When that is considered, my idea of a "behind the scenes" install goes out the window. If it were at all possible, I would love to keep those systems in the next room but doubt that would ever really work properly. I guess I could settle with keeping these game systems in a cabinet or something, but I would rather not have the traditional tv with the game systems and devices under it in a cabinet... I want it to look a little more unique and custom without spending an arm and a leg on it. I know it can be done, as I am almost done with the plan. I just need some insight on this one last thing. Many ideas have come to mind, including installing a small composite video panel in one of the walls, and keeping the game systems a little closer to the sofa, connecting them through that. Then again, I'm not really sure what's out there like that.

I really appreciate any advice/input anybody can provide.

Have any of you ever run into this problem? How did you solve it?
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"