X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrudwin
    • Nov 2008

Subwoofer stopped working with home theater

Hi,
    I have a Sony Audio Receiver STR-DE695 hooked up to 6 in-ceiling speakers and a Yamaha YST-SW115 Subwoofer. Up until recently, the subwoofer worked fine and could be heard appropriately and displayed on the receiver as SW, along with L, C, R, SL, S B, and SR indicating each of the outputs for the Sony receiver. When the subwoofer stopped working, the SW was also no longer working. The other in-wall speakers are working fine. The red standby light is displayed on the subwoofer and if I turn it on and off I do see a green light. The cable seems to be working fine and if I disconnect the cable and tap on it I do hear noise from the subwoofer.

Does this suggest a problem with the Sony receiver or the Yamaha subwoofer? I am not sure if one of these units needs to be fixed or replaced.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or insight.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

It appears the setup on the Sony has either turned the subwoofer output to off, the front speakers to large, or a combination of both. Should be easy to find in the setup menu.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mrudwin
      • Nov 2008

Thank you so much for your help.

I took your advice and reset the Yamaha device ensuring the SW was active. For some reason, it had turned itself off (perhaps when I connected the optical and digital cables from the XBox and Cable box respectively). It is now working perfectly.

Thanks again. This is a fantastic forum and I look forward to learning and contributing.
      Last edited by mrudwin; 30 November 2008, 13:02 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"