X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

New offerings from Emotiva.

Just wondering if anyone else is interested in their new stuff? they have the new LMC-2 which has 4 HDMI 1.3a inputs 1 output and looks like a DVI input as well. Decodes all the new audio formats DTS-MA, DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD, and it costs 699 bucks.

Image not available

Also the new XPA-5 amplifier. 200w x5 discrete mono block design with a shared transformer and .007% THD rating. 799.

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

I'm thinking these will be the 2 new pieces to enter my HT system relatively soon. The LMC-2 pre/pro will be released in april they say. XPA-5 is slated for release very soon I believe as they are taking pre orders.
    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 22:41 Friday. Reason: Remove brokn image links
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Do they finally have specs up on their site?! :P
    Jason

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

I purchased an LMC-1 last year so I get the 40% off deal. Haven't decided if I'm going to get the LMC-2 or wait for one of the higher-end models that are more affordable with the discount.

Also have an LPA-1. Don't really see a need to upgrade that right now, though the XPA stuff looks good.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

How have you found the SQ/reliability/customer support littlesaint? They're looking to be my new budget AV gear recommendation to friends but I have no hands on experience with them myself so I'd love to hear some user opinions
        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I emailed them to confirm the specs I've talked about other then that I have no other specs. I just wanted to make sure it did the new audio formats and what the price would be. The only down fall is I'm not sure they are going to use one of the nice Faroudja or other video processors. Of course with HDMI 1.3 chances are you won't need a video processor as most people will be using HD sources and if your worried about DVD's a nice Oppo isn't much money.

Comment

• draganm
            • Jul 2005

I have been eyeing the Emotiva pre-amps for a while now and the price looks really good, especially with balanced outputs. With HDMI inputs now it's that much more appealing.
            I am leary though, the Chinese hi-fi stuff I've tried so far has been disappointing. It seems like a skewed tonal balance and very Bright sound is a hallmark of this stuff. I wish I could listen to this gear before plopping down $1K.
            Oh one more thing, can those obnoxious blue lights on the front be muted?

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by aud19
              How have you found the SQ/reliability/customer support littlesaint? They're looking to be my new budget AV gear recommendation to friends but I have no hands on experience with them myself so I'd love to hear some user opinions
              No complaints SQ wise. Many here have the LPA-1 (Jim Holtz comes to mind) and it is a solid 6/7 channel amp. The LMC-1 had its problems which were well documented on some forums and resulted in the 40% discount on future gen processors, but it is a very good unit nonetheless. Analog section is very transparent, and the DACs are very good for the price range. Since updating to an all HDMI arrangement in my HT, I use it in my office in a 2-channel arrangement. I anticipate the LMC-2 will fit perfectly in my HT and any mistakes made on the LMC-1 look to be learned from.

Customer service is top-notch AFAIC. My LPA-1 had problem and they shipped a new one out with a return label to send the old one back. No questions asked other than a quick description of the problem. The company personnel actively participate in their forums, and it looks like several of the customer suggestions made there way into the second generation products. Definitely no complaints in this area.

Reliability remains to be seen. They are a newer company and the first gen products were not without issue (for me at least). The products are made in China, but not outsourced. The factories are owned and operated by them.
              You can demo any product for 30 days, only paying for return shipping.
              Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

The blue lights can be turned off if you look on one of the pictures of the amp there is a switch on the back.

Comment

• subynube
                  • Apr 2007

I own the LMC-1 and LPA-1 combo. I could not be happier. I understand there are well documented issues with the LMC-1 pre/pro, but so far I have not had any of the documented issues. However, I did have a small issue where one of the optical digital inputs went bad, but they will replace it no questions asked. It has 5 year warranty!!

For the price, it definately rivals units costing much more., I know it is not the best thing out there, but the SQ is outstanding in my opinion at a fraction of the costs of other high end stuff.

Comment

• coyotetu
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Hdale85
                    Just wondering if anyone else is interested in their new stuff? they have the new LMC-2 which has 4 HDMI 1.3a inputs 1 output and looks like a DVI input as well. Decodes all the new audio formats DTS-MA, DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD, and it costs 699 bucks.

Image not available

Also the new XPA-5 amplifier. 200w x5 discrete mono block design with a shared transformer and .007% THD rating. 799.

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

I'm thinking these will be the 2 new pieces to enter my HT system relatively soon. The LMC-2 pre/pro will be released in april they say. XPA-5 is slated for release very soon I believe as they are taking pre orders.

As noted with that picture, it is an artist rendering.

Image not available

That's what their sample/preproduction model looks like, as last indicated. Though they'll likely replace the two buttons with a knob for the production model, as there seems to be a strong preference for it.

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    The only down fall is I'm not sure they are going to use one of the nice Faroudja or other video processors. Of course with HDMI 1.3 chances are you won't need a video processor as most people will be using HD sources and if your worried about DVD's a nice Oppo isn't much money.
                    Apparently they'll be using Genesis Torino processor for video. Which I believe is similar to the Faroudja. There's a bit of information about it here.

I'm most likely getting the LMC-2 come April, small chance that I might wait for the MMC-2, depending on LMC-2 impressions.

Leaning heavily towards the MPS-2 amplifier as well.

Have to say, Emotiva's offerings are quite attractive, especially given their prices.
                    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 22:42 Friday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I have an LPA-1. And it has been very satisfying! It drives my 7 speaker layout ease. The dynamics & sound quality (with my equipment) is fantastic. And it's barely warm to the touch, after an action film, being played at -14db below reference. This is a big deal since my L/C/R's are a 4 ohm load.
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Well I'm definitely planning on purchasing the LMC-2 and some sort of amp from them at some point this year. Just not sure when.

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

I'm looking hard at the XPA-2. 8)
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I was reading through their forums and looks like the DMC-2 will have an HQV Reon video processor. The MMC-2 will use the same processor as the LMC-2. A few say the LMC-2 won't upconvert? But Dan from Emotiva says it hasn't been finalized if it will or not yet.

Comment

• gd
                              • Jan 2003

LMC-2 / XPA-5 looks almost too good to be true at the price.

This just might be the year to move up from my elderly Marantz SR8000.

But no way will I pre-order, esp after watching them go through growing pains with the LMC-1... let the enthusiastic early adapters have their fun, get the inevitable kinks worked out, then I'll take a peek.

Don't need the preorder "killer deal" badly enough to accept a bunch of bugs.

Hope it rolls out well for them.

By the way, couldn't they lose that butt-ugly silver trim?... eeee-yuhhhhhh.
                              greg (gd to you)
                              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Well the LMC-2 has upgradeable firmware and they've had quite a bit of time to work out kinks since they've had to wait for the DSP chips to ship. But can definitely understand where your coming from

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

I didnt know it Emotiva was so "cheap".

Maybe I will have to look into them.....
                                  B&W

Comment

• Dmantis
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jun 2004

I have noo experience with there gear but damn it looks good. And it's getting HDMI 1.3??? I hope I can find a local dealer.

Comment

• Alaric
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

I think Emotiva is factory-direct , online sales only.
                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                      Marantz CD5005
                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Yes they are no local dealers. Thats why they have the 30 day no questions asked trial return policy so that if for some reason you don't like it just ship it back and you get a refund. Also the reason their prices are so good.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jun 2004

Ok cool,
                                          can someone give a company run down? More detail on who they are and where did they come from. the gear looks fantastic and I hope it performs fantastic. I currently own Rotel and I'm not cool with there new rsp1069 preamp. I perfer to be current if I'm gonna spend money on a new preamp. I have the rsp1068.

Thanks up front.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

I know they are very reputable and very customer service oriented. I've heard several customers who have had small problems and Emotiva have gone out of their way to fix the issue usually they just send out a new item. So I don't see any reason anyone should hesitate ordering from them. Their products are made in China but its not outsourced they own the factory and oversee every part of production.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                              • Jul 2007

I believe their higher end processors (MMC-1 & DMC-1) are based on Sunfire designs. The LMC-1 was homegrown and hence the engineering growing pains. The 2nd gen stuff will all be homegrown AFAIK, but based on conversations I've had (and read) they look to have a better handle on things this time.
                                              Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Found someone that posted this over on their forums some info they got from one of the head guys at Emotiva.

Hello,
                                                I'm new to the "emotiva" world and I'm now addicted. Got off the phone a couple of days ago with Lonnie and he gave me some great information. The prices of the three preamps he confirmed: $699, $999, and $1699. The LMC and MMC are looking to be ready by Feb/Mar 08. They're waiting for genesis to finish the new chips. They're trying to "future proof" there products as much as possible and since the current hdmi 1.3 spec is all the way to 1.3h, they want to incorporate that into the new preamps. Unfortunately, the DMC-2 isn't looking to be released until Jun/Jul 08 since they want to make some custom chips for their top-of-the line preamp. Again for "future proofing", they're trying to separate everything internally so if upscaling ever gets to 1440 or higher, the DMC-2 can handle it and we don't have to buy a new processor, simply get a software update. Also, the genesis chips are 16 bit and should blow any Realta/Reon chips out of the water. Lonnie please correct me if I've misrepresented any information you gave me. I was incredibly shocked by all this information and within minutes realize why Emotiva has many faithful fans (me included now). Sorry to disappoint with the time frames, because I too can't wait to get my hands on a DMC-2/MPS-1 combo for my new dedicated home theater. Oh, almost forgot, the LMC - 4 hdmi in/2 out; the MMC 6 hdmi in/2out; and the DMC-2 EIGHT HDMI IN/2 OUT as well as multiple zones. All three preamps will get this new 16 bit chip from genesis. Pretty awesome!!!
                                                They say the Genesis chip is supposed to be better then the Realta/Reon? That would be quite interesting. Also the MMC-2 has 6 HDMI inputs and the DMC-2 has 8! Wow also they all have 2 HDMI outputs. This is quite amazing specs for these Pre/Pro's. Also I guess they are going to have HDMI 1.3h and not 1.3a.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                  • Jul 2007

Found someone that posted this over on their forums some info they got from one of the head guys at Emotiva.

They say the Genesis chip is supposed to be better then the Realta/Reon? That would be quite interesting. Also the MMC-2 has 6 HDMI inputs and the DMC-2 has 8! Wow also they all have 2 HDMI outputs. This is quite amazing specs for these Pre/Pro's. Also I guess they are going to have HDMI 1.3h and not 1.3a.
                                                  Never heard of HDMI 1.3h and it's not in any industry publications, so I'm not sure where this information comes from. I'm a little weary of Genesis chips since recent offerings have been somewhat flawed and the Reon is near perfect. Not really a fan of scaling in an intermediate device anyway, so I hope there is pass-through capability.
                                                  Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

Yeah they said there is pass through settings already. I'm not really sure about the HDMI 1.3 stuff. He just said thats what Lonnie said? Either way seems like a lot of thought and design is going into these new products.

Comment

• spyboy
                                                      • Jun 2005

I am interested in the new Emotiva dual 12 inch subwoofers with the separate amp (all for) for $999.
                                                      Last edited by spyboy; 10 February 2008, 22:47 Sunday. Reason: addition

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by spyboy
                                                        I am interested in the new Emotiva dual 12 inch subwoofers with the separate amp (all for) for $999.
                                                        I have to admit, I am curious about them also. That package is a lot for the money. If it performs well, it will be a very welcomed item in our hobby.
                                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Azeke
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2003

Hmmm!!!

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• lellis
                                                            • Nov 2006

And for good for us aussies, it has 120 & 230v, wonder the cost to ship these to Australia...?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

Not sure but overseas people have bought them before.

That new sub setup does look quite interesting if your not up for building your own sub.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                • Jul 2007

That new sub setup does look quite interesting if your not up for building your own sub.
                                                                I'd like to see that sub amp offered separately for that reason.
                                                                Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Yeah the amp is quite interesting has a built in EQ and what not. I thought I heard has auto calibration as well but could be wrong on that one. Chances are I am wrong on that last part :B

Comment

• CupCak3
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2007

Yeah the amp is quite interesting has a built in EQ and what not. I thought I heard has auto calibration as well but could be wrong on that one. Chances are I am wrong on that last part :B
                                                                    I have not heard about the "built in eq" can you please point to a source of this information?

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by CupCak3
                                                                      I have not heard about the "built in eq" can you please point to a source of this information?
                                                                      There's not much in the form of published specs yet, but if you go on their forum the info is there.

It has a built-in EQ specific to the subs (dual mono) and then adjusts that based on room correction measurements. It comes with a mic.

They also have this page on their main site:

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Drivers

* 2) 12” woofers
                                                                      * 2) Critically damped sealed sub-woofer enclosures with double walled baffles and extensive internal bracing
                                                                      * Composite fiber reinforced cones for light weight, rigid and low resonance
                                                                      * Asymmetrical compressed foam surround to reduce edge resonance
                                                                      * Proprietary high X-Max motor structure with patented voice coil cooling
                                                                      * Flat progressive rate spider with sub-structure venting
                                                                      * High temperature aluminum former
                                                                      * Precision cast aluminum frame

DSA-1 amplifier

* Super efficient 600 wrms/ 800 watt peak class D amplifier stage
                                                                      * 24 Bit DSP front end with digital based dynamics processing
                                                                      * Proprietary EMOQ Auto Room correction
                                                                      * Dual Mode operation (Movie and Music)
                                                                      * Digital variable low pass crossover with selectable 12 or 24db/octave slopes
                                                                      * Digital variable “True Phase” control (0-360)
                                                                      * Manual/ Auto sensing / 12 volt trigger
                                                                      * Movie mode trigger

Additional Notes

* Calibration Microphone included
                                                                      * Milled terminal cup with integrated milled aluminum plate
                                                                      * 6mm milled aluminum front baffle plate
                                                                      * Magnetically mounted low diffraction grill
                                                                      * Non-reflective black satin lacquer finish
                                                                      * Frequency response: 20-200hz +/-2db
                                                                      Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

I thought so :B It's an EXTREMELY nice sub amp.

Comment

• Landspeeder
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2008

Looks like something we will both have in common Dougie... The emotiva amp/preamp and the Lineup Maxx speakers! My debate now is to get the higher end 2 channel, and know that I will need to by 2 more of them in a year or so, or just satiate myself with the 5 channel amp.
                                                                          My Builds: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...731#post593731

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16073

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get the 5 channel it is quite nice and pretty beefy at 70lbs. But I am definitely waiting for either the LMC-2 or MMC-2.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 16706

#39
                                                                              Woow that's pretty impressive specs for a $999 sub!
                                                                              Jason

Comment

• bmowis
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Oct 2006
                                                                                • 45

#40
                                                                                Just a quick note to point out that more info is in on the LMC-2.

They're still waiting for the Cirrus DP chips, which are currently at Dolby/DTS labs and due out in April. As such, they've pushed back their release date to June.

proboards54.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, proboards54.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

See Lonnie's post. Also, sounds like some more information regarding the specs will be posted tomorrow.

Cheers!

Brad

Comment

• maseline_98
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2005
                                                                                  • 317

#41
                                                                                  I wonder how well these would up to my klipsch setup. They don't seem to be a way to be able to audition them. They have the LPA-1 for $450 right now, but I think I need more power than that. Anybody have any experience with the XPA-5? It doesn't seem to be discrete channels...

Also, any more word on the LMC-2 or MMC-2?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                                                                  Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

_____________________________
                                                                                  “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” - Einstein

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2007
                                                                                    • 823

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by maseline_98
                                                                                    I wonder how well these would up to my klipsch setup. They don't seem to be a way to be able to audition them. They have the LPA-1 for $450 right now, but I think I need more power than that. Anybody have any experience with the XPA-5? It doesn't seem to be discrete channels...

Also, any more word on the LMC-2 or MMC-2?
                                                                                    Emotiva has a forum if you want to get more info and opinions - Emotiva Lounge.

The UMC-1 (previously the LMC-2) is still in a holding pattern due to chip delays.
                                                                                    Santino

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2008
                                                                                      • 222

#43
                                                                                      I am running two XP5s, with them biamped...I love the sound and it really opened up the B & Ws...
                                                                                      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2007
                                                                                        • 3814

#44
                                                                                        Has anyone got their hands on the new UPA-7 yet?
                                                                                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 16073

#45
                                                                                          This thread is getting a bit dated but I thought I would throw in some updates. These are not my pictures but other peoples but I figured some here would be quite interested.

Here are some pics of the new UMC-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	AH2008004.webp
Views:	135
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	941883

Name:	AH2008005.webp
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	941884

Name:	emotiva1.webp
Views:	132
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	941885

The new ERS-112 sub which has a USB output and has full auto room corrections as well as through the USB you connect it to your computer and it will give you all kinds of adjustment settings as well as graphs and FR's and what not.

Name:	AH2008035.webp
Views:	134
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	941886

Name:	AH2008007.webp
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	941887

Name:	AH2008038.webp
Views:	132
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	941888

This image he's showing the adjustable outrigger feet. Pretty neat feature as well although I think auto room correction stumps it

Name:	AH2008006.webp
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	941889

Here are some screen shots of the auto room correction GUI and what not on the PC.

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available

Here is their 2 channel setup at the Audioholics gathering. In this picture you see the new ERC-1 CD player as well as their new towers and the new XPA-1 monoblocks. I believe the speaker model on these is the ERT-8.3's. I would really like to hear these somtime, although I'm a DIY guy I'm hoping a friend of mine will at least do the 30 day trial of them as I've heard many good things.

Name:	AH2008002.webp
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	941890

Innards of the new CDP

Name:	AH2008003.webp
Views:	131
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	941891

As you can see very well shielded and built.
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 22:48 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"