X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1golfnut
    • Nov 2007

Room Size and shape

Looking for information on what you would define as being a good home theatre room size and shape. My gear is as follows:
    B&W 803's (Front) ;x(
    B&W HTM1 (Centre)
    B&W SCM1 (Rears)
    Jamo E8 Subs (X2)
    Arcam FMJ-AV9 PreProcessor.
    Plinius SA250 & Sunfire Cinema Grand Amps.
    Epson EMP-TW1000 Projector.
    100" 16:9 Wide screen.
    Marantz DV9600.
    HD & Blue Ray DVD player yet to follow?

My wife wants the lounge back so I need to build a room. My thoughts are around 6mtr (21feet) wide X 8mtr (29feet) long?????? This would give me around a 6mtr (21feet) viewing distance. (This just so happens to be a Double garage conversion, rather than building from scratch)
    I listen to 2 channel music, DVD-A, SACD and DVD's. Started out 70% 2 channel and now its around 60% DVD's. I love the system, unfortunately my wife does not share the same love. (not sure yet if its a good or bad thing)
    Hope some of you can help
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

That's a BIG room. The size is fine, but your are going to need some power to fill that space.
    Greg

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Great room size! My current theater is the same width (21') and has 22' of length. So that size will give you plenty of space to do multiple rows of seating, at least 4 seats per row, a big proscenium, (stage) roomy walkways, etc. I hope you have at least 9' ceilings with that size space?
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• 1golfnut
        • Nov 2007

Thanks for the heads up.

Should have enough power to fill the room. The Plinius really pumps the 803's. The only thing that I will need to do is fit the room out in 7.1 to give a better over all balance for movies. Perhaps adding a pair of Dipole speakers?
        Has any one any comments on the use of Dipole speakers?

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yes, dipoles work great for side and rear surrounds. I HIGHLY recommend to people that they use matched speakers throughout their systems, so if you can buy another pair of the B&W speakers you're currently using for side surrounds, use the new pair for rear surrounds, too.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• 1golfnut
            • Nov 2007

Thanks Chris!
            Would you use the Dipoles on the side with the SCM1 as the rear surrounds. OR would I be best to buy another set of SCM1 for Rear surrounds (Thats if I can get a second hand pair in the Red Cherry. as they are no longer made) or would a Series 7 Dipole do the job to match in with the 8 series?
            Another thought was that two 7 series Centre speakers as the rear surrounds?

Any thoughts?????

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Ah... well, I don't know B&W speakers, so I don't know if the models you refer to all are designed to work with each other in a matched set. If so, then great! If not, then buy another pair of the same surrounds you already have, for four total surrounds!
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"