Ok, hip me up to the best Surround Processor...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToddAnisman
    • Apr 2005

Ok, hip me up to the best Surround Processor...

For years I've been using an actual Dolby Digital DP562 unit to decode my ac3 streams- It's the unit that Dolby makes and is a serious piece of hardware- it's what we use in Pro studios to decode AC3 when we are making the bitstreams. However, I don't want to pay for the new hardware, the DP564, which at 6k is just too expensive... But since I've removed the Mixing Studio from my house and converted it to the Home theater only, I think it's time for a more traditional approach. I've added HDTV w/ DVR, a PS3, and want to keep my Trad DVD (Component Out) in my system, and need to switch my Digital Outputs along with picture that I then send via HDMI/DVI to my PJ.

I've looked into Parasound C2, but it has no HDMI switching unless I get the add on Box. The Bryston SP-2 has no Video Switching either unless I get the video switcher.

So what do you guys recommend????

Tx in advance,

-Todd A.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Can you wait for HDMI 1.3 receivers/processors? That's what I would do, should be here in the next 6 months.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• ToddAnisman
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
      Can you wait for HDMI 1.3 receivers/processors? That's what I would do, should be here in the next 6 months.
      Hmmm..Yes I could definitely wait. Maybe I could get one of those Gefen HDMI switchers in the interim. I'll have to do a search on HDMI 1.3.

Thanks,

-T

Comment

• jayhawk75
        • Apr 2006

except havent the rumors already started for hdmi 1.4?

Comment

• ToddAnisman
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jayhawk75
          except havent the rumors already started for hdmi 1.4?

They always do. As soon as HDMI 1.4 then it's HDMI 1.5.687492337.

he he That's technology right now.

-Todd A.

Comment

• hery
            • Mar 2003

ToddAnisman
            Have you considered the Anthem AVM-50, which has something like 4 HDMI inputs and is hardware and software upgradeable.

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Or the AVM 40 if you don't need the scaling capabilities of the 50. I am saving up for one of those to match to a PS3.

BB

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by hery
                ToddAnisman
                Have you considered the Anthem AVM-50, which has something like 4 HDMI inputs and is hardware and software upgradeable.

NO, But I'll certainly check it out!!!! Thanks.

-T

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Also, you may want to check out the budget-minded Sherwood-R-972, due out in August. I would definitely wait for HDMI v1.3, as previously stated.

Reviewers have really liked the Anthems, both the AVM 40 and AVM 50, if you have money to spare.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• DSGCobra
                    • Feb 2003

AVM 50 owner here. 4 HDMI in's and 2 HDMI out's. Very solid processor very happy with it so far. Video upscaling is still amazing to me. If you have more money the Anthem D2 is supposed to be where it's at.

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

OK Cobra, I've looked at the manual for both the 40 and the 50, and they both show a single HDMI output. I may get an AVM 40 sometime down the road a bit, but need dual HDMI outputs and was concerned how to swing that without HDCP-handshake monkeying-up DAs or switches.

What am I missing? Where is this 2nd HDMI output?

BB

Comment

• spyboy
                        • Jun 2005

IMHO
                        You could do very well with just about any of the current or upcoming Denons, along with an Outlaw 7125. Especially the Denon 2807, the 2307CI, or even a Yamaha 1700.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Brandon B
                          OK Cobra, I've looked at the manual for both the 40 and the 50, and they both show a single HDMI output. I may get an AVM 40 sometime down the road a bit, but need dual HDMI outputs and was concerned how to swing that without HDCP-handshake monkeying-up DAs or switches.

What am I missing? Where is this 2nd HDMI output?

BB
                          sorry my mistake after further inspection there is only 1 HDMI out but there are 4 in's. there are 2 component out's though.

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

I need a SSP with removable boards. That way when HDMI 1.4 - 10.0 get released I just need to pull out the old board and put in the new one. If the new SSP from Classe worth 25k actually does this, it may actually be worth the price?!

Comment

• gianni
                              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Vancouver
                              I need a SSP with removable boards. That way when HDMI 1.4 - 10.0 get released I just need to pull out the old board and put in the new one. If the new SSP from Classe worth 25k actually does this, it may actually be worth the price?!
                              :E

Each person has their own measure of what something is worth. 25K for a Classe SSP? By my measure, I don't see that value over an Anthem or some other top notch SSP. I can't get over how so many people are so wiling to discard other factors in performance/features and give HDMI variations such disproportionate weight.

IMO, take that extra cash and put it into speaker or other upgrades. The only people I can remotely understand buying such a piece are the ultra wealthy - that is you need an entire village of fingers to count your millions on and you fly around in your own private jet, and not a small one either. These people buy these types of items just because they can and some do. If you are one of these individuals, my hat is off to you. Then again, even if your means are more modest and it makes you happy, go for it. I'm sure your Classe dealer will love you for making his month.

Comment

• gd
                                • Jan 2003

Hell, I'd get a Classé if I could swing it... with no regrets... (and no disclosure).

My 2¢ for the OP... I'd also say wait for HDMI 1.3... but if you are ultimately looking at an upscale pre-pro, I'd give 1.3 two or three generations to mature rather than grabbing the first 1.3 receiver out of the gate... (unless it's inexpensive, for experimentation purposes.)
                                greg (gd to you)
                                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• gianni
                                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by gd
                                  Hell, I'd get a Classé if I could swing it... with no regrets... (and no disclosure).
                                  Yeah at $4,500 and $6,500 for the SSP-300 and 600, I think lot's of folks would like to have one. If it is accurate though, I don't see what on earth $25,000 for that Classe SSP gets you. All I know is that it better make popcorn. Perfectly popped moisture contolled popcorn with a unpopped kernal occurrence of less than .0001. There has just got to be some snake oil there.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

I wouldn't call it snake oil. There is a group of people where the price isn't an object, and they want something they know that pretty much no design philosophy compromises of any degree were made, and the unit was hand assembled by techs. I would assume for $25K, you are buying something like that. If not, then you've got your oil, IMO.

Compared to something like an Anthem D2, which is a completely top notch piece of equipment, but it was still built to a (high) price point, and is factory assembled.

Any actual performance difference? Certainly not that I'd detect in my system even with some nice upgrades I imagine. But performance is not the only thing to measure these units by when you get into that price range. It's not how they are marketed.

BB

P.S. Thanks Cobra, but bummer!

Comment

• gianni
                                      • Nov 2002

Brandon, you have a point. I should not criticize it until it hits the streets. Although I'll wager we're both right in that it probably won't sound any better than other top notch equipment including Classe's current top of the line SSP.

Yes, I know things in these startospheric levels are not marketed the way more mainstream gear is. They don't have to be proven superior from a performance standpoint. They only thing they need to do is appeal to a buyers fancy or perhaps make him think that he's got something that sounds better than a $3,000-6,000 SSP an average joe bought. We'll see. But then, I have friends who think I'm crazy with my Rotel and Primare gear.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

I've only got an Outlaw 950, and my neighborhood thinks I've gone whole hog. Won't even tell them what an AVM 40 costs if I end up getting one.

But they do all ask me for sound component and display advice.

BB

Comment

• chasw98
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

I've only got an Outlaw 950, and my neighborhood thinks I've gone whole hog. Won't even tell them what an AVM 40 costs if I end up getting one.

But they do all ask me for sound component and display advice.

BB
                                          Same here Brandon. I just dumped my 950 for a Classe unit and now they know I am really nuts. But who do they come to for advice?

To the OP. For HDMI switching in the interim look at the Radiient Select 4. Will pass anything and works perfectly. Ability for RS 232 control also. If you are using a pro Dolby unit right now, a receiver will never do for you. Wait for a decent pre/pro to install. But, right now, there is nothing out there. The Anthem D2 is as close as it comes, but it does leave some desire for better 2 channel analog performance. No manufacturer has done it all yet at any price point but some have come close. Look at a used proceed AVP2+6 if you can find one. That with a DVDO VP 30 scaler being controlled by RS232 will get you close for the time being.

Chuck

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by chasw98
                                            The Anthem D2 is as close as it comes, but it does leave some desire for better 2 channel analog performance.
                                            Chasw98.

The original poster said: "and converted it to the Home theater only" and is not talking about 2 channel analog audio at all.

The Anthem D2/AVM50 is really a unique and breakthrough product on the market right now.

I was able to compare the Anthem D2 with a combo Lexicon MC-12HD + Crystalio II (3 times the price of the D2 up here where I live), and in my totally treated and calibrated room, the picture quality was a wash between the Crystalio II and the D2, and sound quality was easily up there compared to the Lex. But for 1/3 the price... :B

The choice was easy to make.

And don't forget that the Lexicon MC12-HD is NOT able to take a 1080p signal in (!!!) over HDMI, and can't process it... The Lex also can't take 1080p24 from the newest Blu-ray players. My D2 is taking the 1080p24 signal from my Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 without any problems.

And for picture quality with HD, the scaler of D2 is BETTER then the DVDO VP50 I was able to try, and on par with the Crystalio II.

So for 1/3 the price compared to the combo lex MC12-HD + VP50 or Crystalio II, it's an easy choice to make.
                                            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2001

Aah, LEVESQUE heard his song being played.

Hey you'd probably know this. The PS3 will stream SACD material over HDMI. The AVM 40 should accept and decode this (high bit rate PCM) equivalently to what it does with the new hidef disc formats right?

BB

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                • Apr 2005

Aah, LEVESQUE heard his song being played.

Hey you'd probably know this. The PS3 will stream SACD material over HDMI. The AVM 40 should accept and decode this (high bit rate PCM) equivalently to what it does with the new hidef disc formats right?

BB

Please do Answer.... he he :twisted:

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                  • Oct 2002

Yes, exactly. Just like the Oppo 970HD btw. I was able to try the PS3 with my D2 and SACDs were playing without any problems.

The PS3 is converting DSD to PCM and outputting multi-ch PCM over HDMI to the Anthem AVM40/50 and D2.

The uncompressed PCM tracks on some Blu-ray titles are unbelievable with the Anthem D2 and my Pioneer BDP-HD1 over HDMI.
                                                  To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jun 2001

Any difference to your ears between DSD->PCM->out and DSD->out?

BB

Comment

• Bob
                                                      • Jul 2000

Although I personally no longer have a HT, I found this at the Theta website.

At one time I had a bunch of Theta gear and found it worked well. Don't know it they are still at the top of their game or not.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                                        • Feb 2003

One interesting note the AVM 40 will not accept a 1080p signal. Anthem is aware and are working the issue with a FW upgrade, release date TBD....

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jun 2001

Just the 40? Deal Killer for me until they fix it.

BB

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                                            • Feb 2003

Just the 40? Deal Killer for me until they fix it.

BB
                                                            as far as I know just the 40. This should be fixed in a FW upgrade just don't know the time table. I have gone with a D2 running 1.11g firmware and have seen no further issues with my PS3/Blu-ray or my HD-AX2.

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"