X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • higgster71
    • Jan 2005

5.1 v 7.1

If you were starting a new ht system would you go 5.1 or 7.1? Would be intresting in hearing from those of you that went from 5.1 to 7.1. Did you think it was worth it? What aspects do you think were improved? If you were to do it again would you go 7.1 or stick with 5.1.

I am finishing is small i.e. 8' by 14', although the space is not enclosed, it opens on one side to a much larger area. I wil be using in-ceilings for all of the surrounds so I am debating if I should go 7.1 or save some cash and just go 5.1.

Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

A good 5.1 setup is always better than a mediocre 7.1 setup. Buy for 5.1 but prep for 7.1 (and beyond) by running appropriate wiring etc
    Jason

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

I strongly aggree with Aud 19. After it's all said & done, 5.1 will reign supreme!!!!
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I went with 7.1, and for it's it's well worth it. Going with 7.1, I'm able to use DPLIIx in my processor, now, which gives you an incredible immersive soundfield around you in 7.1, regardless of the original encoding. (all the way down to mono) Definitely the way I'm going in all future theaters I build/use.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• mrohde
          • Jan 2007

When I remodel my HT about a year ago I went with 7.1. It has been great and would do it again.

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

All depends on the size of the room.

Fish

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

I think the room size should come into play. My room is 11 x 23 but 11 x 7.5 of that is curtained off for storage (no option for that), and my speakers are in as close to ITU configuration as I can get them, so I don't need a 7.1 setup. However, if I were to move the HT into the other room in the basement (a much larger room), I would likely go to 7.1.

Comment

• kgveteran
                • Oct 2005

I would recommend 7.1. I have gone from Prologic (mid 80's) 5.1 with dipole surrounds(yuk).Then to 5.1 discrete with direct radiators or monopoles and that sharpened things up.Now I'm using some old radioShack minimus7's for the backs til my second set of surround are done and I love it.

My room is dedicated and is 14' wide and 15' deep.The sofa recliner is on the 1/5th point of the back of the room with about 4ft to the back wall and the surround experience is very strong.You will adjust the levels here and there to get it right, but once you find the level that is right for you at the seating position i think it is well worth it.I like a stronger front stage sound so I backed the levels a Db or two.

I'm not a big fan of DPLIIx, but with the right material it is pretty cool.Best yet has been Enya "Watermark".I think that genre is meant to be enjoyed in all channels.

At the very least wire for it and go from there.The Dolby web site http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html will help in getting the locations right.

Good luck and report back! KG
                Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• higgster71
                  • Jan 2005

KG:

So how far is the distance between your surrounds and back speakers, a couple of feet? Is that generally the relative distance between backs and surrounds, i.e. 2-4 feet. Of course I realize it depends on room size, etc.

higgster71

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                    A good 5.1 setup is always better than a mediocre 7.1 setup. Buy for 5.1 but prep for 7.1 (and beyond) by running appropriate wiring etc
                    Let me elaborate on this in relation to budget:

Yes as other have mentioned, a good 7.1 system in an appropriate size/shape room can be even more immersive and enjoyable than 5.1. But you'll have to increase your budget proportionally for the added speakers, amplification, wiring etc.

Trying to stretch a 5.1 budget for a 7.1 system, I'll always go back to my "a good 5.1 setup is always better than a mediocre 7.1 setup" statement :T
                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

kgveteran, that's cool to hear that you've actually adhered to the 1/3 or 1/5 rules for seating placement. :T Good job!
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• kgveteran
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                        Let me elaborate on this in relation to budget:

Yes as other have mentioned, a good 7.1 system in an appropriate size/shape room can be even more immersive and enjoyable than 5.1. But you'll have to increase your budget proportionally for the added speakers, amplification, wiring etc.

Trying to stretch a 5.1 budget for a 7.1 system, I'll always go back to my "a good 5.1 setup is always better than a mediocre 7.1 setup" statement :T
                        I hate to be a nit-picker...but.....we at the "Guide" don't do "mediocre".We do HT right.And if you have the budget to prewire (which cost pennies) and purchase quality electronics....I know where you can get a killer deal on speakers :B

Plan on 7.1 ........default to 5.1 if the budget won't allow.Get it later.You won't be sorry.

I'm done nit-picking KG

Comment

• kgveteran
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by higgster71
                          KG:

So how far is the distance between your surrounds and back speakers, a couple of feet? Is that generally the relative distance between backs and surrounds, i.e. 2-4 feet. Of course I realize it depends on room size, etc.

higgster71
                          The sides are to the right and left of the sofa, tweeters are 57" above the floor.The backs are 40" in from the side walls and the tweeters are 57" from the floor.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"