X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBSMOKE
    • Dec 2006

Need a new DVD player

In the market for a new DVD player. It's been years since the last purchase. Looking in the $200-300 range (would prefer the lower end) and have been shopping Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer. Any advice on models or different manuf.? Thanks in advance!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Do you need HDMI or upconversion? Is the TV an HDTV?

Comment

• BBSMOKE
      • Dec 2006

Yes, the TV is an HDTV with HDMI capability. This may be a silly question, but is the HDMI connection that much better than component? ops:

Comment

• Vinny
        • Mar 2006

If you got HDMI, Oppo's new 981 hands down
        Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.
        Pioneer KRP-500M
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Parasound 5125
        Oppo BDP-83
        Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by BBSMOKE
          Yes, the TV is an HDTV with HDMI capability. This may be a silly question, but is the HDMI connection that much better than component? ops:
          Not a silly question, as there are situations where HDMI is not necessarily better (though, I believe, that was with HDMI 1.0). An HDMI connection is preferable as it keeps everything in the digital domain a lot longer AND there are so many HDMI options from which to choose. The Oppo is a good choice. Denon makes an HDMI model in your price range (and they have a good rep for DVD players). IIRC, Sony has one that got decent reviews. My suggestion for cables (Oppo includes HDMI cables in their box, everyone else does not) would be from Monoprice. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• shades
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vinny
            If you got HDMI, Oppo's new 981 hands down
            http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html
            I'm with Vinny on the Oppo981. I just purchased one and loving every minute of it. You just can't beat all that the oppo can do in it's price range. Search some the the reviews and you'll see what the possibilities are.
            B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• shades
              • Mar 2005

Without jumping into the HD vs Blueray as of yet i'm sure the oppo will get you by.
              B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I concur with the others, that within your price range, the oppo is the optimum choice, it provides the best bang for the buck.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"