X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

For all you HDMI 1.3 guys and Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD

MSRP: $1499 Sherwood revamped their entire line of A/V receivers and displayed them at CES. Not only did they acclimate into the 21 st century with their first HDMI enabled receivers but they went

Friend showed me this today. Looks like a hell of a lot of receiver for 1500 bucks.
    Last edited by Hdale85; 09 January 2007, 16:39 Tuesday.
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Sure does
    B&W

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

That is one magnanimous receiver for $1500.00

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

Nice, although you can get the same lossless audio formats with an HD DVD player (they've already got the decoders) and an HDMI 1.1 receiver.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

One of the features I was shocked by was the Converts HDMI video to analog The CRT guys may LOVE this feature.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Cool... looks like a good product. Hopefully, this is a good sign of more products soon to come, pushing the technology edge.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Wonder if they will have a similarly priced P-972 prepro as they have in the past, I may be all over that.

BB

Comment

• Evil Twin
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

A Pre-Pro with similar features, including the video processing/conversion, would be most impressive...
                DFAL
                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

They had another receiver sitting right next to it with TrueHD/DTS-HD for only $1000.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                    A Pre-Pro with similar features, including the video processing/conversion, would be most impressive...
                    Exactly what I was thinking, as a my next step will be dedicated amps as my reciever is only powering my surrounds right now.
                    B&W

Comment

• EAmin
                      • Aug 2004

Denon Separates

The Denon separates on the AH website looks very tempting too. Also 1.3 with all the bells and whistles.

Check out our Online Video Interview with Jeff Talmadge! AVP Processor …

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah and probably 5 times the price.

Comment

• clearwaterms
                          • Nov 2006

yeah and the quoted price is something less then a small import car

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

:B Yeah but I bet the NC is going to be quite nice especially at that price!

Comment

• ssabripo
                              • Dec 2005

why all the hoopla over HDMI 1.3?? besides "deep Color", there is no need for 1.3 to handle any of the future TruHD or DTS-HD master audio streams:

TrueHD:

DTS-HD master:
                              Check out the latest innovations, partnerships and videos from DTS including the award winning DTS:X immersive audio, next-gen infotainment and AI-powered in cabin safety experiences in our connected car technology, and all of the creator and tournament activations within gaming!

High Definition Player with DTS-HD Decoder to Current AV Receiver

You can enjoy DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio if you have a new Blu-ray Disc or HD-DVD player with a DTS-HD Audio decoder built into the player. The audio will be decoded inside the player and passed to the receiver in two different ways.

HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 Connection

In this scenario, the high definition player would output the audio as an uncompressed 6 to 8 channel linear PCM digital audio stream. You will need a player with a built-in DTS-HD Decoder, and both player and AV Receiver need to include HDMI version 1.1 or 1.2* outputs/inputs. HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface, and is a single-cable connection designed to accommodate digital multi channel audio and video. Simply connect the HDMI cable from the output of the player to the HDMI input of the AV Receiver. The DTS decoder inside the AV Receiver will "ignore" the Linear PCM stream and pass the audio stream on to your receiver's digital-to-analog converters and then on to the 5.1 or 7.1 amplifier. This way you can enjoy DTS-HD Master Audio that is a bit-for-bit identical to the studio master.

6 to 8 Channel Analog Connection

In this scenario, the high definition player will output DTS-HD Audio through the analog outputs of the player to your AV Receiver. The DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS-HD High Resolution will be decoded by the player and sent out as analog audio signals to the AV Receiver. You would Simply connect 6, 7, or 8 RCA cables from the analog outputs of the player to the analog inputs on your AV Receiver. The number of analog cables will be determined by the number of analog output/inputs on the player and receiver. The analog signals will go directly to the receiver's amplifier section. In this way you can enjoy DTS-HD Master Audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master.

My simple HT setup
                              4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

^This is exactly how I plan to enjoy the lossless formats with my receiver. My receiver has BM/TA on its analogue MCH inputs (I already use them with my hi-res audio player) and as long as the player has proper level setting capabilities (my MCH input does not apply level settings that are set for the rest of the receiver), I will be happy. Despite the A/D/A that happens with my DVD-A/SACD playback, I find the hi-res content to be still quite superior to standard res audio, and I expect the same to apply to these soundtracks from hi-def discs, when I get to that upgrade. It will be expensive enough to acquire one (or two) hi-def players and an HDTV, I don't plan to upgrade the receiver at the same time.

Comment

• VTGOLFER
                                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                  Yeah and probably 5 times the price.
                                  The word through the dealer reps is the Denon Pre/pro will be $7500 and the amp $7500. For that price you might as well buy the Denon 5805Ci and use it as a pre/pro.

Comment

• Marzen
                                    • Jul 2005

There's not many that can handle 7.1 (via LPCM) output, fewer still with bass management, and maybe none (?) that can process (eq, time delay) the new formats. Granted v1.3 is no guarantee any of the above will be present in new AVR's sporting that badge. Q2 of 2007 should have some interesting reviews on all the above.
                                    -Ward
                                    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• thyname
                                      • Jan 2005

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a HDMI 1.1 receiver and a HDMI "switch only" receiver like Rotel RSX-1057?

Comment

• clearwaterms
                                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by thyname
                                        Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a HDMI 1.1 receiver and a HDMI "switch only" receiver like Rotel RSX-1057?

HDMI has the technology to carry audio as well as video. The rotel RSX-1057 is an HDMI switch so it's only intended to be able to switch HDMI sources to different outputs. In other words its not hooked up to the audio. So you will still need a seperate cross connect to carry the audio portion. True HDMI can carry both the video and the audio.

make sense?

I hope im write

Comment

• thyname
                                          • Jan 2005

Does that mean that any HDMI 1.1 listed receiver carries audio?

Comment

• Marzen
                                            • Jul 2005

Yes, per HDMI FAQ PAGE

Q. What functionality was added to each specification?

The following provides an overview of major functionality added to each version of HDMI

HDMI 1.1

* Support for DVD Audio

-Ward

Comment

• Marzen
                                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ssabripo
                                              why all the hoopla over HDMI 1.3?? besides "deep Color", there is no need for 1.3 to handle any of the future TruHD or DTS-HD master audio streams:
                                              Not so much hoopla, but rather pure, unsubstantiated, illogical hope that there will be a plethora of AVR's & pre-pro's that will actually support the new formats in there entirety. (ie: bass mgt, eq, delay, non-matrixed rear channels)

-Ward

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"