X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tensionhead
    • Jun 2006

Help deciding on a system

Went to my local home theatre shop today to price out a few systems. Thought I would see what some other people think before spending all my money.

System A:
    (2X) M&K S-150THX
    Rotel RSX-1057 Receiver
    Velodyne DD-10
    $7000 CDN Tax included
    Eventually getting another S-150THX for a centre, and 2 K-5s for rears, which would bring the price up to around $9400ish.

System B:
    (2X) Genelec 8050A (or 8040A I forget which one he showed me)
    B&K surround processor (forget the model, just know it was $3500 CDN)
    budget of $800 for sub
    $9300 + tax

My first question is, since I don't have the budget for rears and a centre right now, which is the best system to go with, or would I be better off spending the same amount on a system that includes a centre and rears.
    The guy at the shop was really pushy about the Genelec system. He claims he's got 5 8050As and the B&K processor for his setup and loves it.
    I think system B is my preference, but it would take some time for me to be able to afford another $5500 for 3 more Genelecs to fill out the system.

Anyway. Just a newbie looking for some input. Any help is appreciated.
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

I have always wanted to try a fully active HT setup (like Genelec, Meridian, M&K, etc.) Did you have a chance to listen to both setups? If so, go with what sounds best to you. The Genelec stuff is uber nice.

Comment

• tensionhead
      • Jun 2006

I had a chance to listen to the M&Ks from a Onkyo reciever. They sounded amazing. They didn't have the Genelecs set up, but i'm going back in on monday and he said they should be set up by then.
      The M&K are 4ohms, and I thouched the Onkyo they were hooked up to and it was on fire! I hope the Rotel is better at handling them.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

If you're buying active speakers, why get a receiver with amp channels....? :scratchhead:
        Jason

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Audiophiliac offered the best advice, go listen to see which sounds best to you. Take a friend if you like, remember after all, it's your money, so choose wisely, and be happy with your choice. What if scenarios are easy to create and may deprive you of your HT enjoyment.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• tensionhead
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by aud19
            If you're buying active speakers, why get a receiver with amp channels....? :scratchhead:
            I don't believe the M&K are active. The active ones are the S-150PK THX ULTRA. I think. I could be wrong.

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tensionhead
              My first question is, since I don't have the budget for rears and a centre right now, which is the best system to go with, or would I be better off spending the same amount on a system that includes a centre and rears.
              IMHO, If you listen to music, esp in 2 ch, and are willing to live without rear surround for HT for a while, then get the best front speakers you can (that sound best to you). Many of us have learned the this lesson the hard ($) way.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"