X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bsodmike
    • Dec 2005

Home Theatre Project Log...

Hello guys

I returned to Leeds in September for m final year @ Uni and I felt it was time I persued a goal I've always had the top of my "must-get-done-before-i-die" list and the plan was put into motion - a home theater (henceforth, "HT") with enough power to make you think you're in heaven, integrating into my den.

It all started with the first 'central' block of the HT setup - the AV receiver. I decided to go with the Denon AVR-3805:

The next item on my list was the subwoofer, and I decided to go with B&W (Bower & Wilkins) for the speakers. The subwoofer I chose was the ASW-675 but I found that it had a slight problem, so I ended up pulling the amp out and shipping it back to B&W. Four, yes four days later I receive the replacement amp via DHL!

Home Theatre: Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz - Connected to an Apple Cinema HD Display 23-inch widescreen and a LG 42" Plasma TV | Denon AVR-3805 7.1 AV Receiver | Denon DVD-3910 DVD Player (Multi-Region + Denon Link 3rd Edition) | Rotel RB1080 (2x 200W) | Rotel RB1070 (2x130W, true bi-amping for centre) | Bowers & Wilkins LCR600 (center), DM602 S3 with 2x 3m Nordhost Solar Winds (fronts), DM601 S3 (surround), ASW675 (subwoofer) & QED cabling
  • bsodmike
    • Dec 2005

The other pieces of the setup include a pair of DM602 S3s for the front speakers, LCR 600 as the centre and DM601 S3s for the rears, along with a Rotel RB1070 and RB1080 power amps.

I woke up to find Colombo completely being washed away by the pouring rain. I was prodded awake by around 8:30am and we headed off to the Canadian Embassy to grab VISAs as we plan to visit Torronto sometime in June/July.

After we sorted this out and a couple other errands (HSBC Premire Centre etc) we ended up at Meubel House which is another well known furniture shop dealing in teak/mahogany items with that elegant antiquish look (recreations even).

We were now on the prowl for a coffee table and sofa and to my surprise we found both! Sadly, the sofa was of a very dark (stained) colour so I’m currently waiting for a new piece to be made with matching natural looks as the coffee table (pictured from the rear, it has two drawers on the other side).

By around roughly 5pm the console table was delivered by Raux Brothers and I prompty placed my HT stuff on top. The wiring process was pretty straight forward, and I think I’ve dreamt about this time and again - after all I’ve been planning this since September 2005!!

This is the rear of the RB-1070. It is fed the (mono) centre signal that is fed via the Y-splitter to both inputs (what it considers left/right) and the HF and LF are connected for true bi-amping.

A shot of the rear of the LCR-600,

A shot of the rear of one of the DM-602 S3s,

This is the rear of the AVR-3805 receiver,

Here’s a shot of the rear of the Plasma that is currently waiting for the mounting bracket to arrive from down under

At the bottom of the console table you will find the Rotel RB-1070 (the RB-1080 will be added later on)

This is the DVD-3910, now flashed multi-region with Denon Third Link support

The image below pretty much gives you an idea of the room in its current state. On the left is the display cabinet, that primarily houses my DVD collection. On the right is my Dual 2.7GHz G5 with the 23-inch display I was *finally* able to bring home from Uni and I think the spots really add to the ambiance…

Home Theatre: Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz - Connected to an Apple Cinema HD Display 23-inch widescreen and a LG 42" Plasma TV | Denon AVR-3805 7.1 AV Receiver | Denon DVD-3910 DVD Player (Multi-Region + Denon Link 3rd Edition) | Rotel RB1080 (2x 200W) | Rotel RB1070 (2x130W, true bi-amping for centre) | Bowers & Wilkins LCR600 (center), DM602 S3 with 2x 3m Nordhost Solar Winds (fronts), DM601 S3 (surround), ASW675 (subwoofer) & QED cabling

Comment

• bsodmike
      • Dec 2005

I started off the day today sorting out material for the curtains and ’soon-to-be’ sofa, which we went to take a look at again. I’ve asked for this to be delivered tomorrow but chances are it’ll be delivered by Friday.

I spent most of the evening braiding the main ‘pre-outs’ that link my receiver to the 2x Rotel power amps and have got most of the cable management sorted out (in my head as well) and I believe the wiring is going to almost appear ‘invisible’ once I’m done.

I’m also taking care to swap lines with power orthagonally but need to order some more velcro…Those ‘all’ velcro zip ties would do the job perfectly.

Normally with cable braid you’d heat shrink the ends but due to the nature of some of the cables this might not be possible but I’ll see what can be done

I have also been able to come up with a pretty nice way of placing the 2x main 1KVA UPSes, and it makes wiring the power extremely efficient. Sadly, they come in beige/white boxes so I’ll be spray painting ‘em black sometime soon :mrgreen:

The centre has been tested, infact the RB-1070 is working quite nicely with the 12v trigger. I’ll be making a custom trigger cord at some point, with gold plated connectors. A nice feature of the RBs is that they feature trigger ‘daisy chaining’ which will come in handy.

Here’s a shot of the display cabinet

Comment

• bsodmike
        • Dec 2005

I'm currently back in England and I'm going home in July to finish the the HT. I've picked up a Denon TU1800 DAB tuner along with a sexy stand for the front speakers, rear wall mounts for the surrounds and a few extra cables from superfi and this HT should be completed by the second week of July

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Very nice. Your Denon is a cousin of mine, a model 3801. I absolutely love it.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• bsodmike
            • Dec 2005

Hiya George,

I went to your site and even though most of it seems to be broken that single image is wow Very comfy and looks like a top notch install....some how it blends nicely into the theme of the room...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah the home page was set up by another member no longer participating at The Guide, and the pics all disappeared, so I just leave the opening page there even though the old crt that was sitting on the floor is no longer a part of my HT.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                • Apr 2006

Looks nice. Good combo of gear. And very clever thinking on the biamping the center channel. I am sure the dialog will be very good in that system.

I also owned a Denon once upon a time. AVR 3802. I miss it. A little trivia factoid for you: The Denon AVR-3805 is the best selling receiver in the world EVER. (Not sure if this is based on volume or revenue). So you picked a good one.

Comment

• bsodmike
                  • Dec 2005

Wow..didn't know that. Yea I took my time picking the components of the system and read a few reviews including the one over @ Audioholics. Yes, the centre does sound impressive (based on the initial tests I carried out in Easter) and should be interesting how it pans out.

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Looks great - I really like the display cabinet.

BTW- you're supposed to take the plastic off of the speakers first! :rofl:
                    Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Cool deal, Mike. One question - I also have the Denon 3910 player. How did you specifically flash it for multi-region support?
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• bsodmike
                        • Dec 2005

dyaz, actually in those last shots I was prepping the setup for 'storage', as I was flying back to Uni here in England. Note, those shots have been taken of the setup at home in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Chris: I was given 3 CDs from superfi, I believe you can even download these online (or not as I'm not sure how legal multiregion is ..hrm...) but they had to be fed in sequence. Also after each disc did its magic it was essential that power was cut to the unit via the small on/off button and not the on/standby button and after taking the disc out you didn't close the tray. if you forget this, you risk screwing it up and having to get a new 'chip' and re-flash it... Then you re-power it up and it will self close the tray. You also need to 'initialise' the setting by holding down prev, play and forward (or something) for a few secs - I got the instruction sheet at home with the discs. Also these discs upgrade your unit to 3rd edition denon link if it isn't already supporting it. When I got my unit at the back it says 3rd ed already, so I only gained the multiregion support.

If you'd like a copy of the discs and can wait till 1st week of July (which is when I get back), just send me an email to mike@bsodmike.com and I'll post ya a set

Comment

• Vinny
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                          Cool deal, Mike. One question - I also have the Denon 3910 player. How did you specifically flash it for multi-region support?
                          It's just locked down in the firmware like Philips DVP642. You do not need to update the firmware. Just play with the remote and some buttons on the panel. I sent you the PM about the instructions for it :T
                          Pioneer KRP-500M
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Parasound 5125
                          Oppo BDP-83
                          Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                          SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"