X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

Yamaha 2600 - to keep or not to keep?

hi all,

we currently have a 2600 that we preout into bryston amps (300*5) to power b&w speakers in a 5.1 setup.

the 2600 is great but we now have an opportunity to sell it and get something else if we choose. 70% of our listening is HT. given that we dont really utilise the amp in the 2600, should we be looking at something else - a dedicated av preamp perhaps?

ideally, we need hdmi (we just feel that hdmi is an important future proof feature and so convenient). the av functions of the 2600 is awesome but perhaps there is something out there that will give us equally good stereo performance?

what does everyone think?

cheers,

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

I would say wait until the HDMI audio format finalize before you get the preamp. If there's extra money/time to work on other stuff I would say work on the other component(interconnect/cable/power conditioning/sub/speakers) at the moment :T
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah HDMI 1.3 should be finalized in 6+ months which means in about a year you'll likely be able to get a pre/pro with it. Nothing is "future proof" but current HDMI is already in flux so IMO you're best off waiting if you've already got working gear.

As for stereo performance, just about any pre/pro should be able to better your Yamaha in that regard. There's plenty of options but not knowing your budget and that you currently own Bryston amps.... they make great pre/pro's too That's where's I'd be looking in a year or so if you can afford it :yesnod:
      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

we just feel that hdmi is an important future proof feature and so convenient
        Your first mistake. As Aud said nothing is future proof.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"