X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brac
    • Aug 2005

How to choose an upconverting pre/amp

My PJ is an SP5000 and my PQ at 720p is great at 480i it's terrible. Hence my delima, I can't find a pre/amp under $2000 that will deinterlace and upscale. The things I have found are the Sherwood Newcastel P-965 / HSB-600 combo ( That I think does this but can't find any true specs). The other route I have found is the Yamaha RXV-2600 (receiver) I already own the sherwood a-965 amp so That might be the better choice if it actually performs these functions. The RXV does have pre-outs so I guess it would be ok. I know that Dvi and Hdmi my change soon but I'm not real concerned as I dont plan on another big upgrade for quite some time.
    Am I looking in the right place? If so is one a better choice? Or should I be going in another direction?

Thanks
    Brac
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Brac, I wouldn't look to have your pre/pro or receiver to the upscaling. You can let your projector do it, you can buy a source that does it (like an upconverting DVD player) or you can buy an external scalar. Multiple reasons such as upgradeability and better performance. Are you at the point where you need a new pre/pro also, or are you just doing it because you want upscaling and you were thinking that was the way to go?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• brac
      • Aug 2005

I do need a new pre/pro as I just aquired a 7 channel amp, and the receiver I have does not have pre outs except for a single pair supposed to be used for " sub-room".

I just thought if im buying one anyway....

If not for the upscaling I was looking at either the outlaw 990 or sherwood newcastel p-965. The others I have been looking at make me feel like I am wasting money on things I wont use like the Marantz 8500 or Rotel Rsx 1056.. but as these are receivers not pre pros, I feel like i'm paying for power I won't ever use? I guess I'm still confused..
      Any suggestions...
      Brac

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Sure, brac, you need to be looking at "pre-amps" or "surround sound processors", units that simply do the decoding and sound processing, not the power amplification. You're right, you don't need the power contained in receivers. Congratulations, you're now using "separates" instead of an "all-in-one" receiver. You should notice an improvement in sound quality.

Rotel, Parasound, Sherwood Newcastle, Integra, and many others make processors. You can go all the way to the ultra-expensive high end with separates.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• brac
          • Aug 2005

OK I have decide on the sherwood newcastle P-965, since I already have the matching amp.

Now how do I deinterlace/upconvert my sattelite feed I have coponent out on my DVR, but it is only 480i, Is there a setting on the SP5000 that I need to find? I bought an OPPO dvd player and the PQ is awsome, at 720p. I also have an Xbox but don't use it much so not worried about chnging that signal, anyway it is only composite.
          Thanks
          Brac

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

You might consider an external scaler like an Iscan HD or something along those lines.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

If your display is high-def, it will automatically "upconvert" a 480i signal to have it display on the screen. However, you may find that one of the others options I and others mentioned does a better job at upconverting. For your satellite feed, I'd say your options are buying another satellite receiver that's high-def, and/or getting an external scalar. Like Shane said, IScan makes good models.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"