Anyone know what Theater Research 2830's are?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J-Dub
    • Jan 2006

Anyone know what Theater Research 2830's are?

WARNING! Dumb question ahead!

A friend of mine owns several homes that he rents out. Long story short one renter couldn't pay the bills so my friend took these as payment. Naturally he brought them to me and to be honest I've never heard of them.

I did a GOOGLE and diddn't find much except for a really bad thread about Digital Research who is ripping people off. Again, these were a pair of towers (that diddn't look that great IMHO) Called Theater Research 2830. The Towers were very light weight had a ported 10" sidefiring woofer on bottom.(I wasn't impressed) I found the web site and it said the pair/each? cost $2099! When I clicked on the links, none of them would work.

I havn't had the chance to hear them, to even give them a chance, since my friend brought them by my work then took them home. He isn't into HT that much but he wanted to see if he at least got his rent money out of them.

Has anyone heard of these?
    Is this a scam?
    Or is this a typical "commercial product" that doesn't seem to be worth what is advertised?

Thanks in advance!,
    J-Dub
    "The most successful people in this world have also failed the most"
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Warnning! Don't ask if you really don't want to know!

Originally posted by J-Dub

.....my friend took these as payment..........

.....he wanted to see if he at least got his rent money out of them.

Hate to jmup to conclusions, as I know nothing about them............

But I would wager a guess and say........What size dog house is it, we have a Jack Russel that needs shelter?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• J-Dub
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the input wkhanna.

I think your Jack Russel would have a hard time gettin' around in one as they are only about 6" wide and if he has a little Jack Russel friend, this would hardly be the pimpin bachelor pad except for the cheezy contemporary design. :B Do ya have a Tea Cup Chihuahua?

BTW, thanks for the links. My work has stripped E-Bay from me, but for some reason I was able to open them! At least I can still get on HTGuide!

Any body else have an opinion??
      "The most successful people in this world have also failed the most"

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

White Van Speakers for sure.

Comment

• Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Yes I have seen and heard these speakers. Was a husband and wife team =Theater Research .......husband wife split now one year she took the husband for big $$$ and launch a competing line called "Digital Research" same dirt just a different shovel.

Some-one I know bought a whole bunch of these speakers because the magazine quoted retail very high US$. and placed them in a store at $799.99 - $999.99 per pair. Funny enough a week later a van parked in front the store and was selling them for $250.00 a pair.

Later on he confirmed a pawn shop not very far away was selling them for $129.99 ea.

If you read the welcome page on the warranty card it says that they value their customers as being No.2

The price and ratings are complete garbage. The speaker boxes are poorly built. I have not yet seen one without flaw ranging from bubbling laminate to corner damage from shipping, also speaker terminals/binding posts were different on matched set of speakers to missing jumppers and last but really wierd that a speaker came with spring clips while the other had posts!!

They print their retail prices (i.e $2499.99us) on the boxes and correct me if I'm wrong but how can speakers be DVD-audio ready?

They play loud and dirty

;s@ ;s@ ;s@ is my final word!
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"