X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.H.
    • Nov 2005

Toshiba Hd-a1!

Just ordered the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player. I had to I say it and could not stop myself from ordering it. It was only $499 too! Thats a pretty dam good price point for a new technology don't you think? On the fron logos it has Dolby Digital plus,Dolby True HD and DTS-HD so I am very excited. I can't wait to hook this baby up to my Sharp LCD and Parasound 7100! For sure I cannot wait to hear these new DD sound formats. Although I lose a whole lot of control going through the analog inputs like THX post processing but hey no big deal. Now I have to find some movies to buy. Anyone know when those wil be forsale? Thanks J.H.
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

April/May

Just hope 1) you have a DVI/HDCP input on your set or HDMI and 2) you are betting on HD DVD surviving the format war.

Risky but part of it..

Comment

• J.H.
      • Nov 2005

I'm not betting on anything. I will have both formats. PS3 will provide Bluray and I'm getting HD-DVD. Don't count out HD-DVD it does have the market name of choice. Its also cheaper. All I know Is I can't wait to hear Hd-DVD through my Parasound 7100 and Def Tech speakers! J.H.

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Don't count out HD-DVD it does have the market name of choice. Its also cheaper.
        Oh I'm not considering it's sony we are dealing with.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Well, good for you, J.H. You'll be one of our first Club members here to report on HD-DVD player sound sent to a Parasound 7100 via the multi-channel inputs. Does that player have 5.1 outputs, or more, like 7.1? Are you going to have a Zhd to do HDMI switching for the video?

Yes, I think many people will be using a PS3 as their first Blu-Ray player. Shane just posted that Microsoft has announced an external HD-DVD "add-on" box for the Xbox 360...

Still so much up in the air with HD discs...
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• J.H.
            • Nov 2005

I thought in the specs it said 5.1 analog inputs but I would think its 7.1. In any event I can't wait. I will most likely get the ZHD. J.H.

Comment

• wildfire99
              • Aug 2005

I would jump on this but I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on HD titles just to find out by the end of the year that the HD-DVD people decided to pull out (or die a Divx death) and let Blu-Ray win. Whoops. Can I exchange my discs? Maybe I just have to keep a working HD-DVD player around for the rest of eternity, like the Laserdisc guys.

Other than that I don't care about player price. Even the $1k BR player is fine for the first units, I just won't pay for the same title 3 or 4 times (DVD, DVD-superbit, HD-DVD, then Blu-Ray).
              - Patrick
              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• CP-Mike
                • Nov 2005

I would jump on this but I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on HD titles just to find out by the end of the year that the HD-DVD people decided to pull out (or die a Divx death) and let Blu-Ray win. Whoops.
                Yup. They call it the "bleeding edge" for a reason.......

Comment

• J.H.
                  • Nov 2005

Why do you assume HD-DVD will call it quits? It just as easily could be Blu-ray that quits. J.H.

Comment

• psychdoc
                    • May 2005

I'm really hoping the very best product wins and from what I know that is BR. I, for one, am hoping HD-dvd dies a quick death!!!

Comment

• J.H.
                      • Nov 2005

I don't think any of us will be able to tell the difference between the two formats. Make no mistake about it this war is about money. Sony wants more of the pie this time not a better product or more space. They can care less about that BS. They want to be the one to succeed in order to make more mula. J.H.

Comment

• Adz
                        • Jan 2004

I may be off base here but will having to use the processing of a cheap Toshiba to convert the HD digital signal into analog and send it through its analog outs to a processor sound noticeably better than what most of us have now --- which is using a high end DVD player's (non-HD) digital out to a high end processor like the Halo, etc? I guess so but please reinforce it for me.
                        Adz

Comment

• J.H.
                          • Nov 2005

Well it will be in Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital plus a much better sound quality to begin with. I think it will sound just fine. J.H.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

Adz,
                            I really don't know. That is indeed a good question. My gut says NO and that's mainly because of bass management and delays. If the player has a good setup for those then we're all good but if they don't then I think it's shaky.

I don't expect the $500 Toshiba to have great Bass Management. Their players are pretty flaky as it is. After being in a lawsuit after 2 failed Toshiba products, I don't really trust them much.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Adz, you hit on yet another thing that we'll have to see about. (trying to keep this Parasound-related) For us Parasound owners, the AUDIO part of our decision whether to buy HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray players will rest on just that which you're talking about--exactly how good the audio quality is of the audio formats sent through the Parasound 7.1 analog inputs vs. standard DD and DTS from DVD's sent via digital connections. Cost vs. benefit.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Adz
                                • Jan 2004

Chris,

FWIW --- I've been lurking around the Parasound Forum lately because I'm looking at purchasing the 7100.
                                Adz

Comment

• psychdoc
                                  • May 2005

I have the 7100 and absolutely love it!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of Parasound's equipment.

Comment

• J.H.
                                    • Nov 2005

I actually just canceled my order because I want the HD-XA1 model which is not for preorder right now. Hey also I have a weird problem. I ordered from Crutchfield last month with no problem. I have ordered lots of stuff from Crutchfield in the past but when I ordered the HD-A1 they said my order could not go through because of my phone# does not match the Credit Card. I recently turned off my phone because I'm only using my Cell phone I really have need for a hard line anymore. So why does Crutchfield need to match the phone #? Is this normal? Isn't weird that the order went through last month but not this month with the same credit card? I'm just confused. How do I change my # on my credit card? Kind of odd I thought. Thanks J.H.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                      • Aug 2000

J.H., call your CC company and update your phone # on file with them. That should solve the problem. Mail/web order companies often validate billing address/CVV #/phone number with the CC company to prevent fraud.

Depending on what CC company it is, you may be able to update your info on their web site as well.

Comment

• J.H.
                                        • Nov 2005

Thanks I will try that. J.H.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                          • Aug 2000

BTW, I'm going to move this thread to Home Theater since the topic isn't really related to Halo/Parasound...

Comment

• J.H.
                                            • Nov 2005

I sorta tried to make it about my 7100 but its much to vague. So I have to actually call my CC company and change my number? I find that a bit odd but I guess I have to huh. J.H.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

It's a good idea to anyway, since if the CC company notices unusual activity on your card, they will call you to verify it, so they should have a phone # on file where you can be reached.

Comment

• J.H.
                                                • Nov 2005

Thanks Kevin I appreciate the help. J.H.

Comment

• wildfire99
                                                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by J.H.
                                                  Why do you assume HD-DVD will call it quits? It just as easily could be Blu-ray that quits. J.H.
                                                  Quite right. My gut feeling is that HD-DVD will suffer badly. They're pushing (IMO) the limits of their technology before it's even really left the gate. For instance, I have several dual-layer discs here (commercial press by big companies) that have delaminated in many usual and unusual ways, and now they want to go for triple-layer?

Blue-Ray, though I despise Sony, I feel is really the answer to a true 'next gen' media format. Yes it costs more, yes it has some dubious QC concerns (e.g. scratching), and yes the players are not as easy to deal with, but it won't run out of steam for a little while yet. HD-DVD is in my perception already running out of steam due to capacity issues.

Irregardless of premature speculation however, I won't be buying a BR player or discs for the same reason. I might get one or the other for the computer, since I do need to back up a ton of stuff regularly (to the tune of several hundred gigs), but I'm not looking for a movie collection until I know my choice is going to be supported in the long run.

I haven't given up on the possibility yet that HD on disc as a whole will die out like SACD and DVD-A, due to nothing more than petty manufacturer bickering.

A couple of months ago I was really itching to go DVHS since people are unloading their gear in preparation for HD optical disc. But... it's tape!
                                                  - Patrick
                                                  "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• jprafter
                                                    • Jan 2005

Well the Toshiba HD-A1 did not have 7.1 outputs anyway, nor does it look like it had 1080P. I think it's good you waited.
                                                    Parasound C2, A51, A21, T3, A23(x3)
                                                    Onkyo TX-SR805
                                                    Paradigm Signature S8, C5, S4, S2(x2), ADP
                                                    Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
                                                    Sony PS3
                                                    DirecTV HR20
                                                    SONOS
                                                    Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"