X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murphy
    • Dec 2005

new to ht, need some helo

hello, I am new to home theater systems but I want to learn more. My brother in law and I are looking into doing home theater systems and whole house audio systems for a business. I don't know much but I do have a background in car stereos. Can anyone tell me where to start learning? Are there any good books to read on home theaters or whole house audio type stuff?
    I work a lot and my wife stays at home with our two year old daughter so if anyone has any ideas of where to rent or borrow these books that'd be greatly appreciated. My local library doesn't seem to have any books on the subject.
    Anyways, thanks to everyone.

Dan Murphy
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Robert Harley has written a book or two on home theater. I've never read one, but I've seen it mentioned a lot.

You can find it at Parts Express, part number 500-315 - it's about $20.
    Danish

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

There are a great many free online resources and FAQs... google 'em... start by searching keywords like 'home theatre installation' and go from there.

Expect a ton of competition... seems like everybody and their brother (and/or in-law) freelances this type of home-improvement service.

Educate yourself as much as you can about room acoustics.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gd
        Expect a ton of competition... seems like everybody and their brother (and/or in-law) freelances this type of home-improvement service.
        Yeah, like me...lol :E
        Danish

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by dyazdani
          Yeah, like me...lol :E
          See?... good example.

I considered it for myself a couple years ago, but it took only a little searching to find the landscape cluttered with AV installers, small and large.

Seems the ones that will survive will be the ones most adept at home renovation... specifically, in-wall speakers and hidden components (so the decor takes precedence)... to me, in-walls are a large step backwards in audio quality... plus I have ZERO interest in home renovation.

So back to my regular day job.

Good luck.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gd
            to me, in-walls are a large step backwards in audio quality... plus I have ZERO interest in home renovation.
            I think so too...

Luckily, my area isn't littered with installers, yet. Oh, and I have a "real" job too
            Danish

Comment

• KeithM
              • Oct 2005

The only "installers" in my area are the ones at sears that can just hook it up, if that. My friend bought a sound system from sears and they hooked all the speakers up wrong. It still cost them 20 dollars.

Also get the master handbook of acoustics from parts express by Everest.

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by gd
                See?... good example.

Seems the ones that will survive will be the ones most adept at home renovation... specifically, in-wall speakers and hidden components (so the decor takes precedence)... to me, in-walls are a large step backwards in audio quality... plus I have ZERO interest in home renovation.
                Yep! The first part is totally correct. Todays Main Stream Market is leaning to the "Not Seen" way of doing things.

I know this thread is not about in-wall speakers.....but "Large Step Backwards"???? :roll: There are a TON of companies that make AWESOME inwall speakers. B&W even makes them! :yesnod:

Depending on the needs of the user will make the desision. I have heard some really nice sounding in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. For looks, I like a 5.1 system with all but the sub in the ceiling! In-wall sub and BAM! No wasted space and it sounds good! :yesnod:

This is one of my most loved in-ceiling speaker.

You can aim the tweeter, and the woofer. The thing is awesome! :T

On my project list is to finally put a 5.1 system in the master bedroom! It will be all in-ceiling speakers.
                Attached Files
                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"