X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slls
    • Nov 2005

HK 8385 CD changer

New to the forum, hope this is the right place to post this ?. I purchase a harmon kardon CD changer 8385. It has not arrived but I know I goofed, I thought it had built in speakers. It states in the owners manual to plug the audio into a digital, preamp or receiver. This all means nothing to me. I was wondering what it would take to get sound out of this unit, and about the approximate cost. I think I will probably just send back and take the loss. Thanks for your time.
  • Marzen
    • Jul 2005

I'm not aware of any cd changers with built in speakers, other than the 3-5 disc boom boxes I see at Best Buy. Do you have a home stereo to plug the new player into? If so, you could plug it in like a vcr for left and right channels, or use the digital output (if your home stereo should have digital inputs).
    Since you mentioned you thought it had built-in speakers, do you want this to be a portable unit - like a boom box?
    Cheers,
    Ward
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• slls
      • Nov 2005

Thanks for the reply. No stereo just a TV, VCR and a computer. It’s for my wife’s sewing room, right now she has a Sony that won’t play some CD’s. Really don’t understand why it won’t play some CD’s when our 2 car CD players we have will play anything you put into them. Just for my gaining knowledge what would I need to just set up a basic system, I never got into audio except for plug and play.

Comment

• Marzen
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by slls
        Thanks for the reply. No stereo just a TV, VCR and a computer.
        Hi Joe - you might be able to plug the new cd player into the vcr & use the tv speakers for listening. That would get you up and running straight away, for a minimum investment.

Originally posted by slls
        Just for my gaining knowledge what would I need to just set up a basic system, I never got into audio except for plug and play.
        Well, you could pick up an integrated receiver for under a $100. That would give you AM, FM, built in amplifier, & inputs for external players like dvd, your new cd player & your existing vcr. A pair of speakers can be purchased for much less.

Best regards,
        Ward
        What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• slls
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for the reply. I see I do have some ways to make this CD player work with what I have now. I have decided just to return the player and chalk it up to experience.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"