X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borderdad
    • Nov 2005

New pre-amp

I'm sure this has been re-hashed ad nauseum but...I'm looking for an A/V preamp. Here's the catch. I'm into the DIY thing (no I don't want to build my pre) but if I can't get something great for a lot less than most people pay I don't feel like I've "won", if that makes any sense. So basically, I'm not willing to pay 2-10k for a digital processor. To me, it's digital, how much difference can there be? We watch movies at about -20dB (the way my HK receiver is set up) so a little noise isn't going to ruin the experience. Not that I don't think some of the high-end stuff is better, you get what you pay for in most instances. But to me it's not "better" enough to spend a semester of my kids college money. So, after five minutes of inane rambling, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Hola from El Paso!
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

One good option might be to go with a nice A/V receiver, and use the pre-amp outs to connect an external amplifier as needed. You will find many nice receivers (e.g., Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha) that offer the same processing options as a pre-pro, for a lot less $.
    Brad

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

Sherwood Newcastle makes a nice pre called the P-965. I have seen the receiver version and it is very nice. I would think the pre would only be that much better. Has most of the things you need. Auto mic setup, DPLIIX and all the other formats, nice remote with digital display and more. You could probably get one around the $1,000 dollar range. Here is the web site.

Have you checked out the Outlaw series. I seem to hear their name a lot. Don't have experience with them.
      Roly

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by borderdad
        something great for a lot less than most people pay
        What does that mean specifically?... what are your preferences?... movies? music?

If you're strictly movies, and budget is an overriding concern, save your money and stick with a receiver... and choose that based on its ability to drive whatever speakers you have.

If music is important, you'll necessarily need to spend more on upscale components... there are very few sub-$2K pre-pros: Sherwood, Rotel, Outlaw (and IMO the Outlaw doesn't sound great with music)... if music and budget are equally important, I'd still suggest sticking with a receiver... Rotel and Marantz are particularly capable with music (again, that's subjective).

If bang-for-the-buck is Priority 1, get a receiver -- more features, more up-to-date processing.

If sound quality (and music in particular) is more important, I'd suggest stepping up to Rotel separates at this price point.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• borderdad
          • Nov 2005

I'd say it's 80-20 HT. My wife and I listen to music if we're shooting pool in the adjacent room and then it runs the gamut from CCR to 50 cent :M I'm not trying to be argumentative or obtuse but I just want something that can handle the digital signals coming from my DVD and CD players without making me feel guilty for buying it. Also I'd like to use different amps and/or processors later. The suggestion for the reciever is probably the closest I'm going to get for what I'm willing to pay, I just thought someone might know about a good product that maybe does'nt get a lot of hype.
          Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

If you're budget's closer to the $2k end of the spectrum and SQ is a higher priority than features, get a Rotel or Sherwood pre/pro. If it's closer to $1500 or slightly under go for one of their receivers. If your budget's closer to $1k and features are more important than SQ, look at some of the receivers from Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc. Any of the recievers can have an amp added to them for extra oomph
            Jason

Comment

• gd
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by borderdad
              50 cent :M
              Sorry to hear that...

Everything you've expressed says 'receiver' to me... $1-1.5K will get you a loaded quality receiver... to which an outboard power amp can be added later, as aud19 noted... quite a few enthusiasts use receivers as pre-pros, including myself occasionally... going that route really is a bang-for-the-buck proposition.

I personally like Rotel, Marantz, Pioneer... no experience with Sherwood, but they are enthusiastically reviewed by many, worth a look.
              greg (gd to you)
              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• borderdad
                • Nov 2005

I personally like Rotel, Marantz, Pioneer... no experience with Sherwood, but they are enthusiastically reviewed by many, worth a look.

I'll definitely give them a look. I've heard good things about these brands. Thanks for the info.
                Hola from El Paso!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"