X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scriffer
    • Oct 2005

Question about sound levels

I heard mentioned on another thread the problem of having to turn an amp way up in quiet scenes of movies and then getting blasted in louder periods. I've got an Onkyo TX-SR600 amp and Polk Audio speakers all around, and I've noticed this problem in the past. The room is about 18 x 20 and opens into a kitchen and has a vaulted ceiling.

Is there something I can do with respect to settings on the amp to fix this, or is it something I just have to live with?

Thanks
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Scriffer,
    Do you have your system calibrated at all?

Generally this is caused by dynamic range on movies. It shouldn't be THAT much though.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yup, it's pretty much software dependent as long as you have your levels properly calibrated
      Jason

Comment

• Scriffer
        • Oct 2005

I've only done the test tone/white noise setup that's built in to the amp. Should I consider picking up a system calibration dvd, or do I get to learn to live with it?

Comment

• chrispy35
          • Feb 2004

Most ht receivers have a dynamic range adjustment for DD playback. Just set it to minimum range instead of normal or max. You may have to dig deep in your receiver's menus. Can't remember if there's a similar setting for DTS or not.

I use this setting on my unit (Yamaha) quite often depending on the time of day I'm watching a movie.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Shouldn't make a difference but it soesn't hurt to check You're using an SPL meter as well?
            Jason

Comment

• Scriffer
              • Oct 2005

Thanks Chrispy, I'll give that a go when I get home.

Aud, I'm not using any electronic measurement at all. Can I pick up one of those on a budget in a Central Texas town?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

That's probably you're problem right there then :lol: There's absolutely no way you can accurately set your speaker levels by ear. You should be able to pick one up at your local Radio Shack
                Jason

Comment

• Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

I did notice on my Onkyo that if I don't put "on" the bass limiter and set the values/frequency output on each speaker then that problem will still exist even after calibrating. YOU DO NEED TO SET THOSE VALUES AS WELL :T

Do it with the OSD. If you adjust the values on the fly it will not default. So you'll need to go onto the OSD menu to do it.

If you have a further probs. you may want to post over at the "Club Integra" <Onkyo> for other Onkies to see and respond
                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Scriffer
                    • Oct 2005

Thanks for the help all.

I got my last paycheck from the summer yesterday (finally :M ), so I bought a sound level meter. Next question is How do I get the most out of it?

I sat in the sweet spot for the room and made sure that the sound level from each speaker was the same, changing values for each channel from OSD as you suggested, Clive. Should the numbers on the meter match those on the receiver? ie Volume 60 on the amp = 60 db on the meter?

Also, are there any other measurements I should take, or am I on the wrong track completely?

I don't think I have a bass limiter on this model beyond the built in crossover. I set that at 100 hz and set the sub to match.

Thanks for the help, all.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

You should set your sub's crossover to it's highest possible value (or off if it has the option) when using your receiver to crossover the bass. Otherwise you'll end up with cascading crossovers

Scriffer to get the best results out of your calibration, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Digital Video Essentials or Avia. They'll instruct you on how to properly use the SPL meter as well as give you readings from the player (which is what you'll be playing movies with). The players levels should be no different from the receivers internal test tones... but sometimes they're not the same On a side note either of those disca will also assist you in getting the most out of your display short of an ISF calibration :T
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"